non-broody fowl keepers

This is a thread for all of us unlucky people who have yet to have a broody, or a broody successfully hatch out babies so that we don't annoy all of you normies with our constant complaining on the matter. You can each keep a record of how long you've been waiting for a broody (if you've ever had one that is) it goes without saying, that broody you are so eager to have can be a chicken, a duck, a goose....you get the idea. This thread is of course a thread where you can complain about all your failed attempts of course. I've not had a broody in 11 years, so in other words I've never had a chicken go broody on me. @Canadian Wind , @BelovedBirds , @JacinLarkwell , @Isadora , @New duck mommy 2021 , @Tonyroo come join the fun (or rather lack thereof)! You all know my drama on this topic a little more than others, or have personally fallen victim to the broody drought
While I have a duck eager to go broody....on unfertilised eggs! UGH!
I bet she'd make a fabulous mum too.
Totally got to get her some eggs someday :)
I mean, just imagine my sweet little Dougie, running along laughing about her mischief, followed by a line of tiny baby ductators.... what a sight.

While I have a duck eager to go broody....on unfertilised eggs! UGH!
I bet she'd make a fabulous mum too.
Totally got to get her some eggs someday :)
I mean, just imagine my sweet little Dougie, running along laughing about her mischief, followed by a line of tiny baby ductators.... what a sight.

Dougie with her Douglets would be such a cute sight

OK here it goes. I have been actively hoping for a broody for 7 years, decided hoping wouldn't get me anywhere so 5 years ago I started looking for silkies (because you know they're basically walking brooders) well, I found a hatchery, they said they'd contact me when they would be selling in my area, no replies. Contacted them three times, same story no results. Two years ago I stumbled upon the Greek landrace Tsouloufati, which had was supposedly a very broody "breed" got myself some (from the same hatchery I tried my first silkies actually) 9 hens to be exact, three died the first year (fox attack and some other things) so I was left with 6, the the 7th was around long enough for it to go broody. Those six birds, never went broody. Last year I decided one effort per year is not enough, so I located I hen that was broody on an acquaintance's property, he gave me said hen, she sat perfectly for two to three weeks, then one day she decided motherhood was too much, and she broke. At the same time I was trying to locate an aseel pair with the thought that the hen would definitely go broody this year. Found said pair, well pair of males that is. As you can imagine I was a little annoyed at this point so this year I said "it's time to try the pom poms again" and I found some from another seller. They were supposedly around three months of age, could fit in my pocket. Anyways, they were sick on arrival and all died within a week. Around three weeks later, I found the Disney flock, my only chance at a broody. Thank you for listening to my Ted talk

Dougtator
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Back
Top Bottom