Non-commerical Feed

I live in Hawaii, so sunlight hours don't vary a lot in the winter months. My hens range in age from 4 months to 3 years. December 2016 we got 1400 eggs, December 2017 we got 1250. No illnesses ever, had dry pox last year, small amount. We've got only a handful molting this year.

They also free range and have access to an abundance of greens, bugs, etc.

Our goal of not feeding commercial is not only financial. There is a large contingency here on the island that want grain-free eggs and poultry. I aim to fill that niche.

No options for locally mixed feed, no grainery on the island. 50 pound bags of Purina Layena run nearly close to $30 here. Out of my price range. I used to buy DuMoore, but it had way too much corn in it for just over $20 a bag, buying a pallet at a time. I still buy feed as we also have 200+ ducks that get commercial feed. One project at a time. :)

I came across this web site that may or may not help you http://hopecentric.com/grain-free-chicken-feed/

I live in Hawaii, so sunlight hours don't vary a lot in the winter months. My hens range in age from 4 months to 3 years. December 2016 we got 1400 eggs, December 2017 we got 1250. No illnesses ever, had dry pox last year, small amount. We've got only a handful molting t

his year.
You have a serious production problem. 2016 you averaged 7 eggs per hen for the month and now you are down to 6.25. Even if you factor in a 33% loss to underage pullets and molting you are only averaging 10/hen. What kind of #s are your best months? Any idea what the 3 y o produce? Breed? They probably are overdue to be replaced.
Are the hens in your breeding pens the same stock as the production hens? Any reason to not add more roosters to the flock, run them with the layers, gather 100 eggs for hatching butcher the roostets, grow out some of the cockerels to breed to the next cycle....
It virtually impossible to create a balanced diet because you don't know what your restaurant compost is going to be from week to week. I would be looking into a premix blend ( I know ADM makes one) or even a horse ration balancer (like Enrich) to up their protein and vit/ minerals. Try 100#s and see if you can get your #s up over last year's.

I live in Hawaii ... The cost of feed here is PRICEY and alot don't feed commercial feed as the primary feed, free ranging (as Island Juli) and sell eggs as "organic" is what goes.
I got some pullets from a guy that "free ranged". The chicks were from hatchery which he purchased 50, selling to make monies. They were 8wks when I got them, I should have walked away but purchased 4 BOs, they were in poor condition. Found out talking stories, he lets them free range & feeds table scraps cause feed was pricey. They weren't tame but to try catching some, he threw out rice & they came a running. Caught 4 although I really wanted to run.
Brought them home, cleaned as much caked mud off I could, treated for mites when I noticed they were bald around their eyes/face area. Put them in my brooder with shavings, AVC in their water & fermented Flock Raiser. They also got mealworms for treats. That was about 5 months ago, I'm amazed at their development. They started laying in Oct and I'm getting 3 - 4 eggs a day! At one point they weren't gaining weight, told I was feeding too much veggie/fruit scraps & when I stopped, they gained and still are. Nutrition and living conditions make a BIG difference, I'm not a nutritionist & learned commercial feed is "measured" in the nutrients my girls need.
I purchase a bag of Flock Raiser (50#) for $23.49 every 12wks (fermenting).

Attachments

• DSC03933.JPG
    DSC03933.JPG
    904.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC04168.JPG
    DSC04168.JPG
    884.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04169.JPG
    DSC04169.JPG
    879.3 KB · Views: 4
This is a good side by side comparison. The 4 younger pullets at hitting prime production but you can still extrapolate some good information.
The younger group costs $2/month/bird to feed. She will average 24 eggs a month. Each egg costs you .08 or about $1.00 for a dozen.
The large flock is producing 10/hen. 14 less. Costs are minimal maybe as little $.15/month/bird ($30 for the month time and fuel part of the cost) Are an additional 14 eggs worth $1.85? Probably not. Are an additional 6 worth $.40, .50? That's what you need to play with to figure out maximum production with minimal costs.
Fermented feed is definitely the way to go. It reduces feed consumption on average 10%.

Back
Top Bottom