non-electric heat in brooder?

I love your idea. I know there would be a lot of people shuddering about the idea of using lamps in the brooder with a lot of combustibles around. But like all things, common sense must prevail. If you look at the situation with a cautious eye looking for "how can this go wrong" it should be able to be made into a safe and doable solution.

Yah, I was super nervous about it at first and didn't leave the house for a week to make sure nothing happend. The brooder is a 4x4 crate and I lined one corner of it with metal roofing and a baking sheet, then I made a wire cage about 12"×6" so there's not really anything combustible close to it. I was still super cautious, just in case. No more getting up st night for me

What about a metal trough for a brooder, suspended above the ground (maybe set on bricks at either end) with a kerosene lamp or candle under it? You would have to be vigilant but it seems like we're looking for old school solutions and I'm pretty sure our forefathers embraced open flame.

Back
Top Bottom