Nope!

Quote:
You don't need to fill all the chanels. This way your humidity won't go up so high. Try putting the water in a little at a time.

I don't open my bator to add water. I have a hose you use for an Aquarium, got a little bottle from Wal mart for less than a dollar (they are travel bottles) I pushed the hose in the top of the bottle, fill the bottle with hot water and move the hose in the hole of the bator turn the bottle upside down and it goes in. Try useing less water.

I hope that helps you and answered your question.

OK, now let me say I have 2 pips so far. I did 15 silkie eggs it will be a staggered hatched because I only have one hen left from my silkies. And don't you know it she gone broody again. The last time she got off the eggs maybe I should move the roo?

Quote:
Adorable!

FYI - in case you don't already know - don't keep the chicks and poults together. Chickens can carry black head and show no signs, and it is deadly to turkeys and spreads like wildfire.

It all depends-if you have blackhead in your area, it can be a problem-otherwise, no need to worry about it. My chickens and turkeys are also together, and I've never had a problem. You just need to make sure your protein level in their food is high enough.

Finally worked out how to upload my photo for the may hatch a long

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/4242_img_0309.jpg
or
4242_img_0309.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
You don't need to fill all the chanels. This way your humidity won't go up so high. Try putting the water in a little at a time.

I don't open my bator to add water. I have a hose you use for an Aquarium, got a little bottle from Wal mart for less than a dollar (they are travel bottles) I pushed the hose in the top of the bottle, fill the bottle with hot water and move the hose in the hole of the bator turn the bottle upside down and it goes in. Try useing less water.

I hope that helps you and answered your question.

This is a FANTASTIC idea about the hose....I will get some and a bottle. I think, also, what I am doing is adding water that is too warm/hot. It is probably 100 degrees or maybe a bit more...this then spikes the humidity up too. I think that I will try and, next time, do the water a bit cooler when I add - more 80 to 90 degrees.

Opening the lid to add wont hurt anything. The temp and humidity returns rather quickly in the brinsea and you should always add room temp water or luke warm water. I keep bottles of water next to my incubatos and keep both troughs full and have a little square of paper towels in one corner I kind of use as a wick. I just crack the lid open half way and pour on the paper towel.

Quote:
Thank youi so very much. This is a wonderful idea. I never thought of setting water out to be room temp, I know the wate I was putting in was much warmer and it was from the tap. My next hatch I will do this. I hope to be setting some eggs soon. Just gotta get some.
lol.png

Quote:
While I know this is often a concern for people, I have raised turkeys and chickens together and know quite a few others who have as well. Just my 2 cents
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Someone here in VA is now dealing with this very issue, and every single one of her birds has to be treated. She has lost several already to blackhead and has many young poults and chicks that she is now trying to treat before she loses them, as well.

Back
Top Bottom