People unwilling to sell hatching eggs!

Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I have asked 3 local chicken people if I can buy hatching eggs and all 3 have said nope. I also had a horrible experience a few months ago asking someone who would have to ship eggs if they would sell any to me and they got angry and blocked me! This is all very surprising to me.

I am being kind in my messages to them. I am just wondering if there is a better way to ask people - one that may yield better results??

How would you suggest approaching someone who has chickens but isn’t advertising eggs for sale, to see if you could purchase some eggs to hatch? Thank you for any suggestions!!!

Are you asking people here? I check the Buy/Sell/Trade Forums frequently and haven't seen anyone being rude.
What breed(s) are you looking for?
I have fertile eggs I'd be glad to send you, but they'd be mixed breed chicks. I also am not certified so I don't know if I even could. I need to look that up :).

I have asked 3 local chicken people if I can buy hatching eggs and all 3 have said nope. I also had a horrible experience a few months ago asking someone who would have to ship eggs if they would sell any to me and they got angry and blocked me! This is all very surprising to me.

I am being kind in my messages to them. I am just wondering if there is a better way to ask people - one that may yield better results??

How would you suggest approaching someone who has chickens but isn’t advertising eggs for sale, to see if you could purchase some eggs to hatch? Thank you for any suggestions!!!
Do you live in Ohio? I know of a place in Coshocton that sells eggs. Pine hill farm. Not sure if they ship, but I went recently and got quail eggs.

Where are you asking?
I'm on local FB chicken groups and people post a discussion, not an ad , that they are looking for hatching butt nuggets. FB gets weird about selling animals. I have had turkey eggs for sale posts and FB said it went against standards.
Anyway in the chicken groups lots of local people reply to chicken posts. This year nobody wants turkey eggs 😂

Are you asking people here? I check the Buy/Sell/Trade Forums frequently and haven't seen anyone being rude.
I have fertile eggs I'd be glad to send you, but they'd be mixed breed chicks. I also am not certified so I don't know if I even could. I need to look that up :).
You need to be certified to ship out of state legally

Not everyone sells hatching eggs just because they have chickens. Some don't have a male to breed period, some might know they have a genetic issue in their flock and don't want to spread it/have people get mad at them when they hatch eggs and they get issues. I have a few pens I had to retire early because I was getting problems with all the daughters or was getting poor survival period or was getting other issues in such as scissor beaks, cataracts early on, ect

I haven’t asked on here - I’m in Utah, and haven’t seen any active members on here from UT. That is so sweet of you to offer! I am really just looking for silkies though :) I bought a bunch of shipped eggs this year and had very few of them develop/hatch so I thought that I would just see if I could get a decent hatch from local eggs.

Do you live in Ohio? I know of a place in Coshocton that sells eggs. Pine hill farm. Not sure if they ship, but I went recently and got quail eggs.
I’m not in Ohio, but used to live in that neck of the woods! I think I would have had better luck finding people out there willing to sell eggs! Thank you for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom