Normal cere....?

stephstuckman

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014

They are acting normal. The white hen is a year old. She was pecked pretty good by a rooster about a month ago. I thought that's what it was from. Now the young 6 week old rooster I added with them has the same thing happening. It could be pecked, not sure. All I have are 15 coturnix. No chickens or other outside birds.

Do some research on the diseases that coil can get. I've seen that but don't remember what it was called. Time to cull, clean, & start over. I hope you didn't have to many birds. Do you have chickens also.

If it is contagious it could have only came from wild birds. That's why I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem. I have no other chickens or anything. I have not gotten any more quail either. Just the original batch I hatched and the quail I have hatched from those. No new birds other than wild have been near them.

It can actually be from wild birds. What in thinking of can't be transferred to the unhatched egg tho. Seems like it was called something like incowenzo. I know the spelling is wrong but maybe it can get you started in a search or one of the more knowledgeable people will be along.

What type of cage are they kept in and how about how their food is provided, is it in a feeder that they could damage the beak on? Or even the water dish? At first I thought mites but they don't make the beak deformed like that, with the growth. If they are acting fine I wouldn't worry too much about it but would not mate them until you can figure out if its genetic. Good luck.

I bet it's my feeder. It's a rabbit feeder with 1/2" hardware cloth kinda over the opening so they don't flip out the food all over. It's probably from pecking through the wire. I recently got a different brand of food that is more powdery and doesn't move through the feeder like the crumbles. I bet these two are just trying to peck through it more. All the others seem fine. I may have to change feeders until I can buy the crumbles again. The feeder set up that way work great though, I hardly have any waste.

I bet it's my feeder. It's a rabbit feeder with 1/2" hardware cloth kinda over the opening so they don't flip out the food all over. It's probably from pecking through the wire. I recently got a different brand of food that is more powdery and doesn't move through the feeder like the crumbles. I bet these two are just trying to peck through it more. All the others seem fine. I may have to change feeders until I can buy the crumbles again. The feeder set up that way work great though, I hardly have any waste.

Post some pics of your feeders please. I'd love to see them.

Back
Top Bottom