is this normal?

marahipasc

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2024
i recently had a chick pass & i’ve been keeping a close eye on the others. they like to just sit & chill and although i just think they’re resting i just want to make sure it’s normal. they don’t do it all day. they still walk around and peck at the ground, eat and drink like normal. so i think i’m just being paranoid. but i just want to be sure we don’t lose anymore

Attachments

• IMG_4016.jpeg
    IMG_4016.jpeg
    828.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
So sorry about the loss of your chick. That is so hard especially when we don't know why. Were there any symptoms?

What is the temp outside? They may just be soaking in the sun, although mine try to sunbathe in the dirt when they do that.

I would still have them on grower/starter feed until they are adults/laying, just in case you switched early.

she was lethargic. she would have barely enough energy to try to eat & drink but eventually couldn’t do that either. the night she passed her head was twitching. so i am keeping a close eye on all the others

it’s currently high 50s, sun is out.

yes. i do still have them on grower feed.
So sorry about the loss of your chick. That is so hard especially when we don't know why. Were there any symptoms?

What is the temp outside? They may just be soaking in the sun, although mine try to sunbathe in the dirt when they do that.

I would still have them on grower/starter feed until they are adults/laying, just in case you switched early.

she was lethargic. she would have barely enough energy to try to eat & drink but eventually couldn’t do that either. the night she passed her head was twitching. so i am keeping a close eye on all the others

it’s currently high 50s, sun is out.

yes. i do still have them on grower feed.
I keep both Sav A Chick and Hydro-Hen on hand. Those have electrolytes and probiotics, and is powder you put in their water. I would give that for a day, then fresh water for a day, then one more day of that. Especially if you notice any others acting lethargic.

I keep both Sav A Chick and Hydro-Hen on hand. Those have electrolytes and probiotics, and is powder you put in their water. I would give that for a day, then fresh water for a day, then one more day of that. Especially if you notice any others acting lethargic.
we do have hydro hen. i started giving that to them.
thank you!! ☺️

The birds you have pictured, laying around like that is a sign they have enough to eat, are full and needing a nap. They have bright combs - always a good sign. You don't say the age of your birds, so maybe this does not apply. But I have had birds die either in the first 2-3 days of life, or around 5 months.

I mean they can die anytime, and have. But if I get one that dies about this time period, I assume that it is a genetic flaw. Some cause death right away, and sometimes a heart can keep up with a smaller bird, but not a full size bird.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom