Normal Flock Size?

the way I do it, I add 6-12 hens to my flock every year so my business keeps growing slowly. If you start off with too many at one you might have trouble selling some eggs at first. Good Luck
smile.png

Our 4 chickens give us about a dozen and 1/2 eggs every week and we (my bf and myself) only eat about 1/2 a dozen per week and give the rest away. We have 4 feed store production breeds. I also say start small even if you have the space. I'm glad I did because I know I can have 8 at the max in the space I have and had I gotten all 8 right away as feed store production standards I wouldn't be able to get fancier/prettier chickens this year to add on like Polish and silkies. If you will be eating the birds then you'll have more chances to lower your numbers and replace with different breeds as you wish, where I keep my birds as pets and so in order to get new birds I have to wait until the older birds die of old age.

my coop is apx. 8x10 .I am starting out with 7 chicks .they are still inside under the heat light.i am going small and plan on adding more as time and money allow. my grandkids think i need 10 hundred LOL. good luck and read all you can find ..

I only have four, and I have plans to get two more this spring and then cap it off there. Granted I don't have much space, and my ladies are more pets than they are for eggs or meat, but I do sell eggs.

Another reason for starting small and adding on is once you have one or more breeds of chickens, you might find for some reason or other that you like some of the breeds more than others and want to get more of that breed or you might see other breeds you want to try.
This spring I am getting a small order of six chicks, each of different breeds to see how I like each. Plus my egg basket should get more and more colorful.
I AGREE WITH THIS COMPLETELY!!!!
My first order of baby chicks ships monday (so excited BTW)
and i got:
2 buff orpingtons
1 black australorp
1 silver laced wyandotte
1 gold laced wyandotte

I can technically have 8 chickens but im only getting 5.. I figure ill start out with a few different breeds and see what i like best if i dont like one people on craigslist are ALWAYS looking for laying hens :)

Last edited:
We live in suburban Dallas. Can't have roosters but having chickens depends on the local homeowners associations. So, I went with four, now one year olds. All are laying like clockwork. Barred Rock, White leghorn, Americauna & Silver Wyandotte. It's just my wife and I as our kids come and go so we've got plenty of eggs all the time, sometimes upwards of 60, so I start giving them away. Not in it for the meat. Have a 9'x12' pen in 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth so they don't free range and I probably go through 25 to 30#'s of feed per month. Big fun. Am surprised how low-maintenance they are. Really helps with my compost pile I use in the garden. They're not too noisy and I don't think the neighbors mind a bit. Nice way to de-stress from the day. Getting a few more sounds appealing. Would like to experience introducing new birds to the flock but may add rabbits to the mix soon instead, a bit undecided. I highly recommend it.

I am in central Illinois and I sell them for $2.00 a dozen. That is about the cost they are in the store and I know how fresh they are.

might want to stagger getting 6 each spring for up to 3 springs or more. however, it depends on how many eggs you wish to have. its nice to try out different breeds, until you develop a preference for a breed. staggering years would help in the snese that whe. your first year chickens slow down laying you will be balanced with newer birds laying well. ;)

I started with 25 a month ago. Now have an additional 6 ducks and the 12 roosters that came with them as packing peanuts. But I have plenty of room and being retired plenty of time. Next on the list are geese and a couple of pygmy goats. Also am looking at miniature cattle. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom