Normal Flock Size?

We initially agreed on two hens for a couple a backyard girls for eggs and pets. We came home with eight, the second trip was six more leaving us with 14 for our first year. The man of the house was less than impressed at first but then things began to change. This year we got three more chicks and are starting with ducks (only two of those though, and were his idea!) :) I never understood "chicken math" until we got our first chickens! :)

Four hens and a rooster. Girls lay year round and give an egg almost every day. That gives me lots of eggs to eat. You can have birds just for fun but dont need a whole lot for eggs if you get the right breed and provide for them properly.

I was in your shoes this time last year.
How many people in your family eat eggs and how often do you cook with eggs?
I currently have 10 free range hens and a silky rooster (who thoroughly believes size doesn't matter ;) )
It is just myself and my husband with a baby on the way.
They are happy, foraging, free ranging hens who only use the coop to sleep and eat feed put out 3-4 times a week when it's really rainy. The most I got was 30 eggs in 5 days, but average is 3-5 eggs a day. They produce more when it's sunny vs rainy.
This may sound like a lot of eggs, but one batch of scramble eggs and waffles for breakfast takes 6-8 eggs...if you are like me and bake from scratch 3 meals a day, you go through a lot of eggs! I actually had to purchase a carton of store eggs during the holiday baking season.
Since we got our first egg the end of last summer, I have never had an issue with leftover eggs; our neighbors and family never turn down the infrequent half dozen farm fresh eggs. We actually currently have two Turkens, a maran, and three Welsummers in the brooder and will be adding 3 Anconas in a few weeks too. Chickens are addictive and it's nice to gift healthy food to family and friends!
Also, different breeds lay at different rates! My barred rocks seem to outlay the others in the cold weather.
We tried a few extra Cornish cross for meat, but I have had a poultry aversion since getting pregnant, and I found the breed to be very gamey in flavor, even more than duck or elk.

Hope this helps!

Hello everyone
Iam moving to a old farm house that I restored.and with the extra room and pole barn and with the love of Christ .I want to help some people out with free eggs and also having a garden 20x80 I can do that. But I dont have no idea how to raise chicken. I have talked to some people that have for years .I think that 12 hens and one rooster .is a good start also coups five feet up in polebarn secure the grounds around it.also motion censored lights with sound should secure the pole barn .I like the electrified fence idea
All that I get but what I dont get is ......should I get chicks or egg layers.what do I feed them I was told so many things .long story short .I need a book like chickens for dummies lol

Hello everyone
Iam moving to a old farm house that I restored.and with the extra room and pole barn and with the love of Christ .I want to help some people out with free eggs and also having a garden 20x80 I can do that. But I dont have no idea how to raise chicken. I have talked to some people that have for years .I think that 12 hens and one rooster .is a good start also coups five feet up in polebarn secure the grounds around it.also motion censored lights with sound should secure the pole barn .I like the electrified fence idea
All that I get but what I dont get is ......should I get chicks or egg layers.what do I feed them I was told so many things .long story short .I need a book like chickens for dummies lol
Storeys guide to chickens is a great book you can get it on amazon it will tell u everything u need to know and any other questions come on here and we will help with what we can... http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide-Raising-Chickens-Edition/dp/1603424695

bought 10 chicks last aug. 8 were laying hens. had to eat the 2 that turned out to be roosters. only on 1/2 acre. they unfortunately never shut up. so to keep the neighbors quiet they had to go . I get between 2-3 dozen eggs a week. eat 1 dozen, give the rest away. I let them free range all winter during the day and lock them up at night. in about 3 weeks im going to permanently set them in an area about 20 by 40. and only let them free range in the late afternoons. otherwise they will turn my whole yard into a moonscape. probably could have only 3-4 and it would be plenty but I like them all so choosing would be a little tough. they eat some store bought feed and i'll be moving 2 of my compost piles in the run. they love tearing them apart so much! I've got 1 RIR, 1 light brahma, 2 black astrolopes, 2 golden wyandottes, and 2 easter eggers. good luck

I started 2 years ago with 5 hens and a roo, last year I was up to 12 hens and a roo, a month ago I had 29 girls and a roo, 2 weeks ago I had 29 hens but sold the roo, Today I have 32 girls and no roo... This is chicken math.. its a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy!

Back
Top Bottom