Normal Flock Size?

@naadarien
 Question: What breeds of chicken do you have? The chickens I get will probably be mostly for egg production, with a few meat birds and ornamental breeds thrown in there.

In my experience, the production layers (golden comets aka brown layers aka red sex links) only lay for a year or two then quit. They also have no meat on them to speak of, so what then? You'll wind up with a bunch of birds that you can't sell or give away that still have several years of life ahead of them. I finally managed to phase them out of my flock and I'm now sticking with heritage birds. My best layers are my BA (5-7 eggs/week), my BA/americauna cross (a day off every ten-14 days - she's my star layer!) and my chantecler/americauna cross (4-6 eggs/week). Half of my birds are recent additions so I'm still waiting for them to finish "settling in" and resume laying. The golden phoenix I have is a few years old and she'll lay daily for a few weeks and then take a couple weeks off; a production layer her age would be "retired" already.

I haven't finished reading this thread yet so this may have already been said: when you figure out how many you want, build for 4x as many! I originally wanted only 6 but I know me so I built for 24.... turns out I got my 6, but then a few weeks later got 11 more... lost some, tried to eat some (these were the red layers), then bought 8 BA chicks of which 7 turned out to be boys, traded 3 for 11 phoenixes... Anyway, long story short, the most I've had were 32 (for a day) and now I'm at 18 until I get broodies... Beware the chicken math!

I want to get about 15 chickens, and right now I've negotiated with my family to get up to 12, and wanted to know what an 'average' flock size for a beginneris to possibly get more leeway..... So, if you live out in the country, with a lot of room, and plan to free-range, what is considered an 'average' flock size? I honestly have no idea, because I got a book for Christmas on URBAN farming, in which there is no 'average' flock. Help?
It depends on your needs, land size, and willingness to spend time with them
I have 2 but recommend 3 for small urban backyards with closeby neighbors.
15 would be fine if we had a large backyard like our last home.
it's really up to you.

I am starting out with 8 red pullets.
they are only 5 days old and so stinkin' cute!
We have a family of 6 including 4 growing boys. I hope for eggs by Sept or Oct?

Last edited:

Wow! 40 chickens..... can't imagine..... my family prob won't let me get that many, though! Can I ask how many coops/runs you have? I've only been researching for about a year (I have that book practically memorized!) from my book and the internet, and haven't found much about free range.....
I think 6 is a good number for beginners. I started out with 4 and quickly grew. I have an adult flock of 150, with too many chicks to count, but I am growing them out to sell.

I think you should build big enough for double your original wants. Chicken math will get you.

Back
Top Bottom