Norman the Rooster

Did I read somewhere once that a molting rooster was temporarily sterile ?

Yes, you probably did. Fertility is usually down during a hard molt, not to mention that the quill-ridden birds are just miserable and don't want to be touched a lot, so mating would not be all that pleasant for them.

Did I read somewhere once that a molting rooster was temporarily sterile ?

Yes, you probably did. Fertility is usually down during a hard molt, not to mention that the quill-ridden birds are just miserable and don't want to be touched a lot, so mating would not be all that pleasant for them.
@QueenMisha I've never heard of this but it definitely is interesting!

I just wanted to wish everyone a nice Thanksgiving. Norman and Norma I hope you got a Thanksgiving dinner. If you didn't I have plenty of leftovers come to my house. Make yourself at home I'm taking a nap. I'm stuffed.

When it comes time to collect from Norman I would highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a microscope. You don't need to do a official sperm count, just look at a portion of his sperm and see if it is active to make sure he isn't shooting blanks.  AI should yield the results you're looking for if Norman is indeed fertile, they sell a few supplements that help increase the fertility of roosters that may be worth a try.  These are the only other things I can think of to increase your odds, for the most part it sounds like you're on the right track already. 

How do you collect a rooster?

I have been neglecting this thread for far too long. Apologies, everyone. Real life has been so terribly distracting as of the past month - to be completely honest, I recently got into a relationship with someone and I've been spending a lot of time with her, so that's my main excuse as to my absence. Beyond that, my darned big coop at home keeps flooding and getting nasty and between constant cleaning and repairs I haven't had a lot of time for BYC. I'm hoping to do a major cleaning and some repairs on it tomorrow, hopefully that will take a good amount of work off my plate.

Norman and Norma have been doing quite well. I continue to be astounded by Norma's laying ability. She has been laying nonstop since about 3 weeks after I got her and she consistently gives me no fewer then 4 eggs every single week. That's even right now, with only 8 hours of daylight (indoors - shop hours and as such lights on averages 7-9 hours a day) and in temps ranging from 30-50 degrees. Most of my PRODUCTION birds aren't even laying right now.

Also, check this out - I picked it up at a thrift store recently and it fits Norman PERFECTLY!

And some other photos of our favorite birds. :D

Back
Top Bottom