North Carolina

Right now I'm living in Eastern KY but it looks like in the next month my hens, guineas and of course my teenage daughters, will be joining my hubby who finally found work in NC. He has also found us an old farm house rental in Mocksville, NC that looks and sounds like it will work perfectly for my chickens and guineas.

Anyone else near or in Mocksville? My girls and I have only been through there one time and only seen pictures of the house so we are going into this without any knowledge of the area.

Hope I'm getting into a bigger agricultural area with swap meets and clubs......Eastern Kentucky didn't have much to offer other than some selling at the flea market from time to time and we had to go across the state line to Tennessee to do that. I'm also interested in adding some goats and a peacock to my little group of animals so will be looking into that after settling in.

Guess I'll need to change my user name too........MamaheninKY won't work after we relocate.

Would love to hear from anyone who might be living in the Mocksville area or near it as I'm going to need information to find a decent feed store that sells Purina feeds.

I am 35 miles north of Charlotte. We moved from a house in downtown Concord to 7 1/2 acres last June. It is just my husband and I in a 2 bedroom house. Our chicldren and grown and we have 5 grandchildren. We have 3 dogs which 2 are rescue animals. The other my son who is a landscaper traded for yardwork. Then he decided the dog was a bit hyper so he now lives with us. This spring I ordered 25 pullet chicks from cackle.com. We received 25 and one died the next day. at 5 weeks we loss a second one. And about the same time we realiezed we have 3 roosters. Not sure what to do about that. I gave 6 of the chickens to a co-worker which had been the plan all along. SO now I have 17. They are RIR and Barred Rock. Right now they are 9 weeks old.

Our chicken house is 8x8 and we are going to have to add on an area for nest. The pen is about 30x30. We are trying to decide if we are going to free range. The issue there is the dogs.

Glad to meet everyone. It is great to find a place to talk chickens!!!

Saying Hello for the first time. We are in Apex (Wake County), not far from Raleigh. We have 5 three-week old chicks at home. We are new to this backyard chicken-ing but have been thinking about it for a while.

We JUST (by a week) missed the Tour de Coop this year, but definitley be there next spring.

Hope to get to know you all and maybe meet up sometime.

NC Chicken man,

You are close we are about 4 miles north of Cline's. We are about 4 miles South East of the town of Gold Hill.

We just have our 14 hens and 3 roos. I need to get rid of a couple of Roos. I am thinking I would like to get some meat chickens next year but need to learn how to clean them first.

Fayetteville here!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
Steelshot here. I just got found this site a few days ago. This is so cool. First to find a nice site like this and then to find out there are so many of you from NC. I've been raising gamebirds for about 10yrs now. My mother has always had chickens around for the eggs. I recently cuaght the chicken bug and I have marans, wellsummer and jersey giant chicks in the brooder. I have a incubator full of chicken eggs that will be hatching in a few days. I'm from eastern NC. A little town called Jamesville. I am smack dab in the middle between the capital and the coast. If any of you have ever been to Nags Head and traveled HW 64 east then you been through here. Just wanted to say Hi to y'all. Thanks Steelshot:frow

Last edited:
I just want to let all of you North Carolinians know that I've started a petition for keeping backyard chickens in Wake Forest - if you live in Wake Forest, email me! Em

Back
Top Bottom