North Carolina

I don't really winterize my coop, its never gotten cold enough. If it gets really cold, I slather some bag balm on combs and wattles. I have bahama shutters on my coops and I close those down on cold or wet and nasty days.

I don't know when turkeys start to lay as a rule. I can tell you that my girl was hatched in December, so its been almost a year.

I grow fodder. I go to my local feed/seed store at the end of the year and ask them if they have any leftover seed. This usually consists of giant Wyatt and Quarles bags of cowpeas and lima beans and snow peas, turnips etc. I have many, small, 4X4 raised beds with removable fencing around each one and as the plants in the garden beds are going to seed or doing their winter thing, I pour those bags of seed into the beds wholesale and then I just wait for it to come up. When the bean or whatever plants are big enough, I take the fences up and let the chickens have at it. When they've thinned out a bed enough, I pop the fences back in and let the stuff grow a little more. Having several beds, I can rotate which ones I have open. Plus I live next to a soybean field.

From what I've read the dirt isn't necessary. Seems most folks that grow fodder do so hydroponically. Maybe it's a seasonal issue but I'm having a heck of a time locating untreated seeds to use. I've got some BOSS going now, but would like to do barley, wheat, millet or pretty much any grain. Can't even find rye grass seed. :(

Does it really matter all that much if it's treated? With all the rinsing and soaking and whatnot you'd think the stuff would wash off. Esp. since I'm not re-using the same water.
I found my rye grass at a feed and seed type country store. As far as the issue of being treated, I don't know what to tell you. However, I just had my yard seeded, and my hens have gobbled most of that up. (I'll never have a good stand of grass in my back yard I fear) anyway, they seem fine but it can't be the best thing to eat. I was wondering if you could tell me more about where to get this BOSS stuff? Is it easy to grow?

How does everyone winterize there coops? This is my first winter and I was told I don't need to worry about it. I did naturally, I put up plastic on the outside of the coop facing the North where the wind really picks up. Did I go overboard?
I think your chicken will appreciate the shelter this winter. Make sure you have a few spaces open near the to for some ventilation. Looks great. I should do the same.

How does everyone winterize there coops? This is my first winter and I was told I don't need to worry about it. I did naturally, I put up plastic on the outside of the coop facing the North where the wind really picks up. Did I go overboard?
I close the windows, and put tarps over the wall sections that are only 2 x 4 woven wire. As you can see on this one, we have large sections left as woven wire to give good summer ventilation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5862529/a/6312242/north-carolina/sort/display_order/

From what I've read the dirt isn't necessary.  Seems most folks that grow fodder do so hydroponically.  Maybe it's a seasonal issue but I'm having a heck of a time locating untreated seeds to use.  I've got some BOSS going now, but would like to do barley, wheat, millet or pretty much any grain.  Can't even find rye grass seed.  :(

Does it really matter all that much if it's treated?  With all the rinsing and soaking and whatnot you'd think the stuff would wash off.  Esp. since I'm not re-using the same water.

I have been using treated seed because that is what SS gave me when I went and asked... I did notice when I got home and looked up what it says it was treated with...Cannot remember now but it was listed as supposedly safe... not sure but in my washing and soaking. I wash it several times before I leave it to soak and them I wash and drain 2 x during the soaking time. This usually takes off most of color. When I water I drain and do not reuse...

t
My fodder is not a major part of diet. They get feed, scratch, table scraps and fodder and weeds during summer months.

I did read that treated fodder should not be major source of food especially for large heavy animals. Did not specifically mention chickens. So I am not sure. I am using what I got till it gone animals and next that ime I purchase I am going to look for non treated just so it would take a little less time each day with washing. Hope this helps... If I am slowing killing my ladies with treated seed someone let me know... but they all look great right now!

Fodder set up for those interested...

Hey everyone!
frow.gif
How have things been? It's been far to long since I've found my way on here.. I was wondering if I could ask a favor and some help of the chicken community. After fighting with the bank for the past year or so we finally got a short sale and an offer on our house
ya.gif
and will actually be closing in the next 3 weeks. Which has been great news except for we haven't been able to find a place to move. We're just looking for a little 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. It's just me and my mom and our poodle/bichon who is a lazy, spoiled 6 year old guy. The problem we're having is the fact that we have a dog, and our budget. We would really like to stay at $550 a month if at all possible which makes it hard. We're looking in the Waynesville, Clyde, Bethel, and Maggie Valley area. We would like to stay out of Canton if possible. Know it's kind of a long shot but if anyone does happen to know of anything for rent if you could let me know it would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You Guys!! Hope Everyone and their critters have been doing well!!!

Last edited:
We managed to find a local to sell us some untreated wheat seed for our fodder. 50# for $5. Hubs is gonna try growing the barley seeds and harvest the seeds off the plant for future fodder. In the meantime I think I may just rinse the bejeezus out of the barley seeds that aren't planted and mix them in with the BOSS and the wheat. What do you think?

The girl at SS gave us this stuff after we asked for seeds for fodder too, so hopefully it's alright. Either way we're stuck with 50# of seeds and I don't intend to let it go to waste even if it was only 20 cents a pound. They're still getting crumbles and table scraps and whatever bugs they find. I'm having a hard time believing that with all the rinsing and soaking and whatnot going on with fodder that they are getting enough chemicals to do any real damage to them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that though.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I seen snow last night.....briefly but still it was snow
here in the central part of the state. I'm wondering how
good are our chances for a white Christmas? I remember
the year that the coast got snow......lots of snow and the
rest of us didn't really get much......that was an odd year.
old.gif

hope everyone stays warm today
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom