North Carolina

OK, that's really weird! My quotes on the first 2 posts didn't work but it did on the 3rd... Have to go find whom I'd replied to!

I saw this on a local waterfowl facebook site and thought I would share

We have had several ducks brought to us some from Charlotte area and a few from the Asheville area that were carrying Duck Viral Enteritis (DVE) This is a devastating disease of waterfowl that has no treatment and no cure, its 100% fatal. Once symptoms start its too late and the only way to manage it is through vaccination.
We are seeing an increase in cases of DVE in North Carolina in the past year or so and have a lot of experience dealing with it. We are licensed to import the vaccine and would like assist people who would like to vaccinate their flocks. If you are interested contact us for details - email [email protected]

Was/is there a lot of smell?  I'd been dumping eggs found out and about into our bonfire/burn pile and lately we've had some breezes that carry the scent directly to the house.  I know our neighbors wouldn't be happy if we "kept" dead things in a bottle - depending on where I locate it.  Don't have a permanent coop yet - still trying to decide where to put it!  We do have 8 acres - but narrow and long - so neighbors on both sides of us.  Lots of trees in back - both ours and neighboring lands -  but that's way too far to run electric and water right now...

Great idea - pics or is that too gruesome?

Where in Sanford are you?
I'm near the courthouse :) but outside city limits... There's a little smell but you have to but near it to really smell it strong no stronger than to garbage gets on hot days lol if your close I could show you how to make one with less smell

It is just a white cochin. They have a tendency to hatch out yellow since they are a yellow skinned bird. The feathers will come in white. Hens are good setters and normally friendly. The boys are normally timid and make good meat birds.

Last edited:
Had some good rain last night. Several hours worh. Calling for more tonight and this weekend. I live near Lake Norman and the storms usually go around me. So far it seems like they are not. In the past, my mom, who lives about 15 miles across town, will have to pump water off her pool while I have cracks in the yard from the drought. Crazy weather. Hope you guys get some rain.

Had some good rain last night. Several hours worh. Calling for more tonight and this weekend. I live near Lake Norman and the storms usually go around me. So far it seems like they are not. In the past, my mom, who lives about 15 miles across town, will have to pump water off her pool while I have cracks in the yard from the drought. Crazy weather. Hope you guys get some rain.

I'm keeping my tomato plants alive with water from the tap but my fruit trees are too far from the tap and I really hope they survive. Hopefully when their roots dig deeper into the soil I won't have to worry about wether it rains or not.

It is just a white cochin. They have a tendency to hatch out yellow since they are a yellow skinned bird. The feathers will come in white. Hens are good setters and normally friendly. The boys are normally timid and make good meat birds.

Okay thanks, that's what I thought.
You guys thinking #3 is a partridge Wyandotte? Only other thing I could come up with is a rose comb brown leghorn, but that seems an unlikely breed to be put in the mix. Guess I will know for sure when feathers and lobes come in.

Back
Top Bottom