North Carolina

Sheesh, back from my monthly or so trip to various Dr's. I am still alive and breathing according to her. I am still dying but that is nothing new we all are, I figure I gots lots of time left, I just have to finish the Honey do list....Also had to get an eye exam and boy do glasses cost a arm, leg and first born anymore. Guess it is cheaper to go blind any more. I almost had a heart attack. Maybe I should have done the eye stuff first then the regular Dr???? in 2 weeks a different Dr. Sheesh, I have seen more Doctors and visits in the last 5 years than I have during the whole time before that. sucks getting old!!!!
old.gif

Well we got us some rain last night. The corral for the horse was all sorts of mud. Nothing worst than cleaning up the poop in the mud.
barnie.gif

Chicken were dry except for a couple of leaks. To be expected with used tin as a roof. Still lots of dry areas in them. Looks like a real cold one tonight, this will be the first frozen night for the kids but I expect them to be ok since they are all feathered. Their out right now bugging and playing kids games. Let flock 2 out today as well, 1 and 3 are stuck in the runs. getting the new additions to them use to their new homes. maybe out by Monday...

Hoping everyone dries out soon. No rain for a couple of days, or so they say. Can't trust those darn weather people anymore. They are more wrong than right. In fact I can and have done a better job myself.
tongue2.gif

ok, enough rambling, I got animals calling my name....

Hey chickendad, I lived in Pennsylvania and then Massachusetts...was total culture shock to move to nc.
Yes it was a shock. The heat got me quickly. Was over meeting neighbors and passed out from the heat. What a way to meet. I was still in school so didn't have much choice in coming or not. But wouldn't move back now. I love the weather here most of the time. Can take the cold better than the heat though. Only so much you can take off and still be legal. lol.

chicken dad ... you a troll or u'pper I be a u'pper, moved here while little and I dont miss the snow one BIT! But I do remember two story buildings with second story doors and no landing or stairs to that door because of the amount of snow that came in winter
th.gif

So, here is a question for the "experts": I am buying hatchery chicks for the first time ever - they will have Marecks vaccination, so do I feed medicated feed or not? I know from experience, when they get moved outside they will be given Sulmet in their water. I do not want cocci again.....

Quote:
So, here is a question for the "experts": I am buying hatchery chicks for the first time ever - they will have Marecks vaccination, so do I feed medicated feed or not? I know from experience, when they get moved outside they will be given Sulmet in their water. I do not want cocci again.....
Yes feed medicated. The Amprol in starter is to prevent Cocci, though it is only 70% effective according to the last studies I read. It does not interfere with the Mareks Vaccine. I would recommend the marek's vaccine for ANY and ALL chicks that come from a major hatchery. To many generations have been vaccinated that the offspring do not seem to be able to develop any kind of immunity to mareks.

Now if you get the Cocci vaccine, then you do not need medicated feed. In fact it negates it, making the cocci vaccine worthless.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes feed medicated. The Amprol in starter is to prevent Cocci, though it is only 70% effective according to the last studies I read. It does not interfere with the Mareks Vaccine. I would recommend the marek's vaccine for ANY and ALL chicks that come from a major hatchery. To many generations have been vaccinated that the offspring do not seem to be able to develop any kind of immunity to mareks.

Now if you get the Cocci vaccine, then you do not need medicated feed. In fact it negates it, making the cocci vaccine worthless.

Matt
Thanks Matt

Quote:
Yes feed medicated.  The Amprol in starter is to prevent Cocci, though it is only 70% effective according to the last studies I read.  It does not interfere with the Mareks Vaccine.  I would recommend the marek's vaccine for ANY and ALL chicks that come from a major hatchery.  To many generations have been vaccinated that the offspring do not seem to be able to develop any kind of immunity to mareks.

Now if you get the Cocci vaccine, then you do not need medicated feed.  In fact it negates it, making the cocci vaccine worthless.

Matt

what if im not getting a vaccine just using medicated feed do i put a little container of dirt from my run in the brooder?

what if im not getting a vaccine just using medicated feed do i put a little container of dirt from my run in the brooder?

Some people do after about 4 weeks, but I never have. When I did brooder chicks I took them out by 4-5 weeks old on warm days to play. I always had a 'playpen' setup for babies, but then it was also a warmer time of year.

Matt

Last edited:
No snow on my end...just lots of gusty wind and rain...as if we NEEDED more of that junk!!  My run is a swamp, my yard around my lawn is a moat and it's mush everywhere in between!!  I would really like a few days of say 70 degree weather to just dry us out!!  I seriously saw the ducks drinking from the mud puddles IN the run...I was rather disgusted with it...LOL  Once the hubby comes back from being out of town, I think I will need to get him to bring a load of straw or something to put down in the run!!

I hope everyone is warm, safe & dry (chicks included).  Have a great night.  I'm off to fold diapers and maybe kill time watching something on PBS called Downtown Abby... it's a British show with some Scottish accents...I don't know what it's about, but I am ALL game...LOL

Hi there Home. I'm from Asheboro and I could have written this post. Lol. Ditto on mud and I'm a huge downton abbey fan. I am sick of all the nasty mud in the run and am planning to put sand down. I've ordered some new coops built and we are building up the area to be able to hold sand about 4-6 inches deep with pretreated 2x4s. Just curious if any one in NChas used sand successfully? Been reading general threads but couldn't find anyone from NC, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom