North Carolina

Yall sure are chatty down in NC. I can check the VA thread once a day (or even every other day) and be all caught up. Yall have several pages since yesterday afternoon!
What's the secret?

I think he means, the meat eating plant in the little animated picture.
I want some Audreys, from "Little Shop Of Horrors" plants.

Yes, that is what I meant..

Seems today turned into a nice warmish day after this am's coldness. Got alot kind of done and the chickens loved getting out again...

Hoping tomorrow is just as nice...

I got a new box of eggs from Jim today. Shipped Wednesday, arrived today. Much better. Quite to array of breeds in the box, including some I know I will not keep if they hatch. Here's hoping for a better hatch!

Well I had two more losses last night......
I moved the white orps out from the pen, where they other pullet had been killed and stuck my extra, young roosters, in the pen, so that if the pred came back it wasn't killing any more of my show birds. Well this morning 2 rooster were dead, I did lock them up to, but they were yanked through the wire, so now I know its a raccoon.
somad.gif
he.gif

Tonight I'm setting traps and putting my big evil rooster in the pen... I think it likes this pen because it is my least secure one and is the only one that sits in complete darkness, because I have yet to rig a motion sensor light near it.
Hopefully it will get trapped or beat to a pulp by the rooster.
Wild, sorry for your losses...... may I suggest getting hardware cloth..... Chicken wire is designed to keep chickens in but not keep predators out.... Not a cheap item to buy, but probably the best investment you can have if you keep chickens..... I buy 36' high hardware cloth, make a 12" skirt at the bottom and attach the rest to the chain link fence panels that I make my runs out of....

So, my SFH got moved in to their new coop and run last night. I found them all roosting outside the building on various perches. Caught each one and moved them inside for the night. I wondered how long it will take them to go to bed on their own... Well, tonight was a success - all up on their own. I am also waiting for my second egg from them......

Wild, sorry for your losses...... may I suggest getting hardware cloth..... Chicken wire is designed to keep chickens in but not keep predators out.... Not a cheap item to buy, but probably the best investment you can have if you keep chickens..... I buy 36' high hardware cloth, make a 12" skirt at the bottom and attach the rest to the chain link fence panels that I make my runs out of....

I have hardware cloth or welded wire around most my pens to reinforce them, but like you said hardware cloth ain't cheap, so I hav to buy it in batches, and cover what I can. This pen was new and I hadn't had a chance to fix it up yet, but I will :)

So it was great to meet you guys today. I heard some one has some buff brahmas around that they may be selling. I am interested
this is a great site with great people. I have learned alot from so many of you
thanks

I plan to bring buff, light and dark brahmas to WCA on march 24th(if the hatch goes well)

Jon.. Do you want me to grab some of these for you if you can't make it. ????

Back
Top Bottom