North Carolina

I'm not a Silkie person, but you'll need to avoid "baby" feathers...the ones growing in. Those still have a blood supply. They may be big or small, but you can tell the shafts are darker with the blood supply. Have needle-nose pliers handy when trimming. If you accidently cut a blood feather, you'll need to pull it, or it will continue to bleed. Feathers don't clot well. Aside from that, it should just be aesthetics.
I'm so glad you told me this ahead of time! I will have the pliers ready just in case..... I've had parrots in the past and trimmed their wings with no problem but I guess I'm nervous about cutting around their eyes/face.... I will try to get some before and after pics :)

Angela

I get my six Easter eggers Thursday evening after work. I'm off on Friday so will have the whole weekend to get to know them:)
Congrats!!!!
woot.gif

Ok, time to pick you long time chicken owners mind.

How old can a Rooster get and still be able to get the job done. as in fertilize the hens eggs. My guy is getting on 3ish years old. Do I need to replace him or is he still good to go????

Neighbor told me to get him some blue pills but he still does his business, but I am not sure he is getting it done...

Had a 50% hatch rate this last summer and late fall from my broody hens. So I know some of him is good....

Have 3 younger Roos (7 months old) sitting on the bench waiting to get a flock or go to Freezer camp.... They may be brothers to some of the newer girls while Dallas our old boy is from a different flock, my neighbor use to have. I am not trying for show birds, just for eggs and buddies.....

Thanks for any info.

Ok, time to pick you long time chicken owners mind. 

How old can a Rooster get and still be able to get the job done.  as in fertilize the hens eggs. My guy is getting on 3ish years old. Do I need to replace him or is he still good to go????

Neighbor told me to get him some blue pills but he still does his business, but I am not sure he is getting it done...

Had a 50% hatch rate this last summer and late fall from my broody hens.  So I know some of him is good....

Have 3 younger Roos (7 months old) sitting on the bench waiting to get a flock or go to Freezer camp....  They may be brothers to some of the newer girls while Dallas our old boy is from a different flock, my neighbor use to have.   I am not trying for show birds, just for eggs and buddies.....

Thanks for any info. 

It depends on the rooster, I had a 2 year old go infertile on me, I witnessed him getting the job done correctly but no fertile eggs, and I know the hens were fertile. My neighbor has a rooster going on 4 years and she used to get 90% fertility, but as of last summer it was down to 40%, so she retired him.

Back
Top Bottom