North Carolina

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

Lovely pics, Wild! I missed that particular phenomenon!

Gotta go to work today. Ugh.

I got new babies yesterday! I had Beth hatch for me, since my hatching hadn't been goo for some time. And that means I got a Beth visit, too! Woohoo!

Enjoy your day!

[COLOR=0000FF]Oooooh, what breed are they?   [/COLOR]

Chocolate Orpingtons and Golden Cuckoo Marans. My friend that visited me from Florida three weeks ago brought the eggs with her. Can't wait to see them grow out!

:love I love the different colored birds!  Have you seen the Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons?  I saw a some at Carolina Chicken Stock in May....pictures don't do them justice.  One day my flock will be rainbow colored.  lol.

I have seen them. They are lovely...but you can't go wrong with an Orp!

I wouldnt go to Wicked Chicken Auction. I got my first chickens from their. 4 pullets died in 5 weeks and got one that said it was a trio but turned out to have two roosters 

[COLOR=008000]I have gotten a few from there and yes.......you must be careful[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]much like you would anywhere you buy birds.....swaps.....breeders[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000].........auctions..........they all will have not-so-honest sellers......just[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]know what you are looking for and all characteristics  and what a healthy[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]bird should look like and then[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]QUARANTINE[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]what you bring home[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]no matter where you get it.[/COLOR]

Absolutely!!! No matter where you get birds, always quarantine! Every purchase carries the same risk. It's a market where buyers really need to do a bit of homework! I have seen people on this and other forums discussing their sick birds...and seen them on another forum or CL selling birds at the same time! Trust nobody until proven otherwise, and quarantine!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Finally home from our 2 week staycation in Ohio. It was nice, but I was ready for home after week 1. Oh well.

My girls have grown so much in the past 2 weeks. A couple of them are getting their bright red waddles :)

And my garden! HOLY COW! My watermelon & cantaloupe is THRIVING! SO MANY MELONS, I don't know what I am going to do...

Any baby news for NH? I have TONS of watermelon... or will have in about a week! {I know yours didn't survive..}

Glad to hear everyone is fairing in the NC jungle this season. Hah! This weather... confused!

Well go figure, Lake Ramirez is back into the neighbor's yard and right up to his drive. Which means the fish are back to swimming in the yard. If this keeps up, I wont have to worry about cutting the grass, it'll be dead.

Johnson county Smithfeild
WELCOME neighbor!! I too am in JC over in the Middlesex area!!
frow.gif

Woohoo! Finally home from our 2 week staycation in Ohio. It was nice, but I was ready for home after week 1. Oh well.

Any baby news for NH?

Glad to hear everyone is fairing in the NC jungle this season. Hah! This weather... confused!
It's official...this baby has taken up PERMANENT residence in there and is NOT coming out! Aside from having one ROUGH (that's all the details I'll go into...but use your imagination, those of you who have had end of the road pregnancy visits) "inspection" there was absolutely NO change, nothing to signify that this baby is going to come out any time soon. I am measuring between 43 & 44 weeks, but the PRN (whom I saw) is thinking the EDD might be off because there is so little progress and this is baby #3 - which is, you know, SUPPOSE to come a whole lot faster/sooner than the rest. LIES!! You may find me huddled in a corner crying in despair - despite knowing that NO woman has EVER been pregnant forever...LOL
On a chicken/duck note...we should have duckling hatching ANY day now - we planned it so they would hatch around my DD's birthday (which is today...3 years, can you believe it?). The mama did toss one egg out of the nest, so I assumed that she KNEW it was a dud? She's been a GOOD mama though, I have only seen her off those eggs a minute amount of times, unlike other broody hens in the past (or her roommate). The other broody is doing well too, but we won't have chicks for another 2 weeks - maybe we'll have some ducklings, a baby and THEN chicks?!?
On a garden note...I just have to share this with you all, because I have had such a black thumb the past 2 years!! We have CORN growing!! We've NEVER been able to grow corn before! DH went out the other day to check on the pumpkins (total wash - all are rotting so we're leaving them for the squash bugs to see if they stay away from the zucchini and winter squash) and noticed that not only do we have corn growing but we also have about 15 watermelons that sprouted up, pole beans (which we didn't think were growing...all of a sudden popped out), and....CUCUMBERS!! No luck on the tomatoes or peppers, but I am doing my little YAY dance as this is the MOST we have ever grown/harvested!! It's amazing what a little soil can do!!
Have a great day everyone!!

Good morning! - Need some help/advise!

Background: My hens are about 22 weeks old. I have 4 hens and one rooster (all Easter eggers). I have been feeding them layer crumbles for several weeks now. They have a sand floor in the run so they get plenty of grit in their diet. The coop has shavings on the floor with poop boards under the roosting bars, covered in sweet pdz. The nesting boxes have straw in them which they continually move around and I end up with a bare whole in the middle (afraid the eggs will break when laid).

Dilemma: A few weeks ago I got my first egg (brown). I have also gotten a greenish/blue egg. The eggs are coming sporadically (not every day), some soft shell/some hard shell. Can't determine who is laying because I work all day. Never get more than one a day. I have a son home from school so he checks for eggs for me - sometimes LOL. Sometimes the egg is in the nest box and other times there is one on the poop board.

Should I be concerned that eggs are being eaten; do i need to give them oyster shells in their diet or is this just the "start-up" phase?

Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom