North Carolina

Angela-- Thanks so much for sharing! I think I am going to get them. Are yours originally from the Greenfire farms line? That seems to be the only line I've come across in looking for them. They sell straight run chicks for $29 plus shipping so I think hatching would be the way to go (as long as they're actually fertile!) We're in the city so I can't keep roosters and breed. But I'd like my small flock of hens for each one to be something really unique and different. By the way, I loved the piece you shared from the news, I can't wait to be on a farm!!!

NH-- I have my freedom rangers in an outside coop with an infrared heat lamp. I keep the heatlamp on 24/7, but give them access to go outside and eat. They were going outside within a day or two during the day. I obviously don't do that with Fall/Spring chicks, but it's so hot and humid here in the summer I give them access to the pen right away (though it is fully fenced and has a bird netting top). I LOVE my freedom rangers. They were 3 weeks old yesterday and they're starting to put on some weight quickly now. But they are still very active and love to run around and eat grass and whatnot. I have them in with all my other chicks (the weather hasn't been cooperating on the weekends for us to build an additional coop and pen) and they all get along and are very friendly. The coloring on mine are beautiful-- I split an order with a friend and kept 12, but it looks like all of mine are the rainbow or tricolor variety. I haven't eaten them yet, but so far I've been very happy.
They do drink A LOT of water. Not sure if it's the summer or the breed, but I went and got a 10 gallon waterer because the 1 gallon one (which that amount was always more than enough with past chicks) was needing to be filled every morning and every night. Enjoy!!!

RF-- Sorry you're stuck at jury duty, no fun!!!

I'm headed off to Maryland this afternoon for the weekend for a family party and to take the kids to Six Flags. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

My young frizzle roo is acting weird. Hes lost weight and is really skinny. He kinda wobbles and sometimes stumbles. I have given Duramycin in the water and alternate with vitamins. What else can I give him to put some weight on him?
Have you checked him for bugs? Check him all over, if he does have some put sevin dust on him and put him in a pen by himself so that he can eat all the food he wants. Good luck.

I'm free from having to go downtown and finding a parking spot at the court house. I forgot to call last night to make sure I was needed, dad reminded me when I went to drop off the kiddos.
ya.gif

Have you checked him for bugs? Check him all over, if he does have some put sevin dust on him and put him in a pen by himself so that he can eat all the food he wants. Good luck.
Yes, i have checked him...no bugs...but dusted him just incase...I have separated him already and am giving dried mealworms...sunflower seeds and pieces of a suet block to him....what bout peanut butter...would that be good for him?...hes eating pretty good. Ohh and I have wormed him too.

Yes, i have checked him...no bugs...but dusted him just incase...I have separated him already and am giving dried mealworms...sunflower seeds and pieces of a suet block to him....what bout peanut butter...would that be good for him?...hes eating pretty good. Ohh and I have wormed him too.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. If you just wormed him and all that ..give him a few days to gain some strength again.
fl.gif

Guys we have the tackiest makeshift coop EVER. My dad and brainiac DH had the bright idea of hanging the net upsite down from a tree and staking into the ground with tent stakes! Omg! I feel like an idiot! This is horribly embarrassing! And then the 2 "geniuses" had the idea of running 2 strands of low voltage electric fencing...not wire but the string type...around the outside to keep dogs out! Well lo and behold...10 chickens were out this morning and in a crazy tizzy trying to get away from me...my favorite baby jumped on the fencing and screamed bloody murder!!!!! She got off of it really quick! Can this low voltage kill my chickens in case if it happens again between now and Sunday when we will have them a more permanent solution?

I think you have a good list there
big_smile.png
I have australorps, wyandottes, Orps, cochins, EEs and Faverolles all in my layer flock. They are all great Layers. And the cochins as you know, make great broodies
love.gif
. I think they are all lovely birds with good personality.

Just for fun this is Phoebe my Salmon Faverolle
Just catching up. I love Phoebe! Do you have a Favorelle roo?

Back
Top Bottom