North Carolina

This might be random but, has anyone ever purchased pullets/hens from the poultry exhibition at the State Fair? There were so many beautiful breeds on display last year and some of them had prices on them. I though it might be a good way to add breeds to our flock that aren't available in my area but wasn't sure what all is involved. Any issues incorporating I should be aware of also (this is our 1st time having chickens)? My 7 girls will be approx. 2.5 months old by the time the fair starts.
Quarantine them!!!!!!!! No matter where you get new birds from, ALWAYS quarantine them for at least a month! When in quarantine feed and handle them last and then wash really well afterwards. I didn't go to the state fair last year, but I was there the year before. I wouldn't have bought any since most had a "head tick" thing going on. Before you buy any new bird, look them over for wet noses, odd looking eyes, standing with head resting on body and a fluffed up look to the feathers, not moving much, legs not smooth looking, sneezing or coughing. If you can ask to hold the bird and make sure its in good weight for its breed and age. A little research on any breed you might want to get goes a long way. I have seen alot of "I was told its a _______ breed" and its not. Look up pictures for chicks, teens, and adults in the breed you want, so you know what they look like. Good luck.

What breeds are you looking for? There are alot of different breeds here between the NC BYCers, if you don't mind hatching eggs yourself.

Luke-- he is ridiculously cute!!!!!
love.gif

OMG! 50 with 3 year old twins - my hat is off to you!!!

Growing up on a farm or just in the country is the BEST!
You are so right about growing up on a farm and having a great education on life! You are my hero! I presently have a 14 yr old grand visiting and it is difficult....he is adhd and I'm 64! He is really so great, I'm just too old to adjust to how he was raised vs how I raised mine....know what I mean

Hump DAY! Mini me is getting huge!!!! Everything around here is good, just need to downsize a little more and get the new super pen built.
Luke......ain't no doubt that is your boy........looks lots like his daddy
and what a cutie he is...........you both did good
wink.png

Welcome to the new folks......glad to meet you
frow.gif

Like everyone will tell you........QUARENTINE any and all new birds well
away from your flock and research breeds you like. A seller is out to sell
that bird so they will tell you anything to get it sold, it's up to you to know
what you are looking for and I would be very careful about adding adult
birds to a flock of 2.5-3 month olds.........it can be done but expect squabbles.
Hatching eggs is a good way to add to your flock and lessen the chances
of bringing in diseases.
Good luck and hope you find what you want.
big_smile.png

Hey folks, looking for some experienced eyes. Am I fooling myself, is this a roo or the pullet she is supposed to be?? This is the first time we have had a cochin in the flock. We got this one and a blue one in the same hatchery order. This one, Jezebel, is much larger than the Blue. Since I have no experience with cochins, I have no clue as to if one is maybe standard sized and one is bantam or just smaller. They hatched April 22, so they are 16 weeks now. Her waddles and comb are much larger than anyone others and stands taller too, she is nearly the same size as our Buff Brahma who is 1.5 yrs old. She makes clucking sounds and hasn't shown any interest in the others (as far as mating). She and the Faverolle are constantly at odds sorting who is top of their order.
Comparison with Faverolle
Comparison with Sexlink

Can an EE to lay brown eggs? I have an EE (23wks old) who I thought hasn't laid yet. I checked the boxes this morning and I found one egg obviously just laid as it was still very warm, my EE was in the coop and the other girls were in the run eating. I have two other ones that I know are laying since I've seen them(BR & BA). Could it be my EE's or was it maybe just her curiosity?

Back
Top Bottom