North Carolina

I had the best luck with freezing right away.  The pullet died in front of me and I did as my vet told me:   I held her upside down and rinsed her feathers the wrong way under cold water, then I bagged her and then I double and triple bagged her.  I took her immediately to my vet who packed her in one of those styrofoam coolers and dry ice and sent her to rollins.  

If a death happens on the weekend, you can do the rinsing thing and then pack it off to rollins on Monday morning, Dr. Aziz will not have a problem with this as long as the bird had recently died before being rinsed and frozen.  Its worth the $30 to have them do the necropsy in a lab away from the other birds just in case the cause of death was infectious.  

The reason he said that it wasn't worth it to send just one is because there are only a few symptoms that infectious diseases present in chickens.  Usually, if you don't see coughing, wheezing, gaping, sneezing, disorientation, lethargy, purple comb and wattles, anorexia (green diarrhea) or neurological symptoms and you don't see more than one death, it is most likely something genetic.  I've seen perfectly healthy looking birds fall over dead from heart failure because a dog runs through the yard.  Sometimes its genetic or just something unique to one bird.  
[/quot. Didn't know about the freezing method. Nobody mention that, they wanted her that day but I live to far for the drive myself. That's good to know, hopefully I won't have to do it. I think mine was genetic because I lost two day olds showing the same symptoms, they were the smallest of the six and the other four died 4-7 months later. Still miss them. It will be a year next week when it all happened.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

it's too muggy and humid for this time of
the morning for my liking........gonna be a
long day at work when it's this humid.
tongue.gif

hope everyone has a good day
smile.png

My buff Orpingtons got very red in the face at about the same age. They were sexed at birth and are supposed to be females and I still think they are. They have no 'rooster' feathers or traits. They have small combs and wattles they are just red. Guess we will find out together! They are 13 weeks this week.

My buff Orpingtons got very red in the face at about the same age. They were sexed at birth and are supposed to be females and I still think they are. They have no 'rooster' feathers or traits. They have small combs and wattles they are just red. Guess we will find out together! They are 13 weeks this week.
I think they're girls
big_smile.png

When did the red start showing up?
Pretty birds

Anybody on here raise Campines? Thinking about getting a couple next spring, depends on how the hatch goes next week. Getting excited and nervous can't wait to see how many out of the 10 and the colors they will be.

Thank you 2StrayRoos. He is a pretty good looking rooster for a lakenvelder. His ear lobes are solid white, and his saddle should get a little blacker after his first molt (which he is going through now). Are you hatching campines now? If you liked the lakenvelders you should like the campines, as they are very similar in behavior from what I have read on campines.

Back
Top Bottom