North Carolina

Purchased a lavender Orpington last week and she has been in isolation this week, but I think I am losing her. Her breast bone and bottom are bare of feathers and she is not moving around any more. She was weak from the time I got her, (thought it might just be stress) never seemed to spread out her feet when I put her down, but would just kind of fall and didn't move around a lot. She is very friendly and sweet. Only 2 months old. It is very sad, but I don't know if there is anything I can do for her.

Just a word of advise....if you are buying chickens or any birds.....go a quick check on them. Check their eye, make sure they are not bubbly or runny. Same with nose, smell the head, if it stinks don't buy ! Listen to them breathe...wheezing or rattles, don't buy ! Check the vent ( butt) are there bugs ?( lice or mites) is the vent clean,,,, ??? Check legs are they rough and scaly? (leg mites)
There are more I am forgetting bu tit is 5 :30 am.
wink.png

Just a word of advise....if you are buying chickens or any birds.....go a quick check on them. Check their eye, make sure they are not bubbly or runny. Same with nose, smell the head, if it stinks don't buy ! Listen to them breathe...wheezing or rattles, don't buy ! Check the vent ( butt) are there bugs ?( lice or mites) is the vent clean,,,, ??? Check legs are they rough and scaly? (leg mites)
There are more I am forgetting bu tit is 5 :30 am.
wink.png
Thanks, Your right I should have done that. A friend purchased them it for us and on initial inspection the only red flag was her protruding breast bone. Then was her lack of response to stand it almost like she was old and didn't have the strength to spread out her toes so she wouldn't fall over. My friend got 3 from the same flock and she says they are fine, but her flock raising is a lot more hands off than mine so only time will tell. I just hope it is not something infectious, because she would loss her whole flock. Sad to loss this chicken the rooster on the other hand might become meat for the freezer asap!
smile.png

Thanks, Your right I should have done that. A friend purchased them it for us and on initial inspection the only red flag was her protruding breast bone. Then was her lack of response to stand it almost like she was old and didn't have the strength to spread out her toes so she wouldn't fall over. My friend got 3 from the same flock and she says they are fine, but her flock raising is a lot more hands off than mine so only time will tell. I just hope it is not something infectious, because she would loss her whole flock. Sad to loss this chicken the rooster on the other hand might become meat for the freezer asap! :)

protruding breast bone and weakness, sounds like worms, if you treat her rapidly and give her a boost, raw/cooked egg, sav-a-chick in the water, nutridrench on her starter, she may stand a chance.

Gooooood Morning everyone :frow
going crazy here, barely sleeping cause the dogs barked at something ALL NIGHT LONG!. went out with gun and spot light and couldn't see a thing, didn't hear a thing, went out 4 times, after that i just lay in bed, listening to them cry wolf.
going to town today to do some grocery shopping. Hope you all have a great day

Good morning!
Going to be another hot one here, still waiting on Fall!!!
My freedom rangers were trying to crow this morning. It wasn't much, at first I thought it was the turkeys. If they get better at it they may meet their demise early!

Also if anyone around here needs chicks, I ordered 5 more Ameraucanas than I needed to make the minimum order and I really can't keep them. Almost 4 weeks old sexed pullets. If not, I guess I'll raise them until Spring and sell them when they're laying. No one seems to want chicks this time of year, but a lot of people are looking for layers come March/April.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Morning everyone!! Beautiful day today , i was wondering if my fellow North Carolina BYCers could help me out. So far we only have two mature breeds at KBHatchery , Pearl White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. The Barred Rocks are only one week old as of last friday and im in need of one more breed to fill the empty coop and run. If yall would kindly give me some suggestions on what that final breed could be please pm or quote this post :) Im looking for what breed is in High demand or just all around most popular amongst poultry lovers in NC. But no bantams please. Your input would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank You
Cody @ KBHatchery

protruding breast bone and weakness, sounds like worms, if you treat her rapidly and give her a boost, raw/cooked egg, sav-a-chick in the water, nutridrench on her starter, she may stand a chance.

I've been reading up on worming my chickens. I bought some wazine, now I just need to get my hands on valbazen. She might be over loaded with worms so be careful when you worm her. From what I've read (not by experience) too many worms dying off at the same time can block the intestines and kill your hen! Which is why Valbazen is recommended - it slowly kills them off, and it kills more types of parasites - I think - wazine only kills round worms or something. I'm still reading up on this subject though... good luck skitzkle! hope you can save her <3

Last edited:
Morning everyone!! Beautiful day today , i was wondering if my fellow North Carolina BYCers could help me out. So far we only have two mature breeds at KBHatchery , Pearl White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. The Barred Rocks are only one week old as of last friday and im in need of one more breed to fill the empty coop and run. If yall would kindly give me some suggestions on what that final breed could be please pm or quote this post
smile.png
Im looking for what breed is in High demand or just all around most popular amongst poultry lovers in NC. But no bantams please. Your input would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

Thank You
Cody @ KBHatchery

I have a real nice trio of production reds that are in need of a new home if you're interested

I've been reading up on worming my chickens. I bought some wazine, now I just need to get my hands on valbazen. She might be over loaded with worms so be careful when you worm her. From what I've read (not by experience) too many worms dying off at the same time can block the intestines and kill your hen! Which is why Valbazen is recommended - it slowly kills them off, and it kills more types of parasites - I think - wazine only kills round worms or something. I'm still reading up on this subject though... good luck skitzkle! hope you can save her <3

Yes, Wazine only works on roundworms and I don't think it's as strong.
Valbazen is usually harder to come by, but it works on almost everything.
I've only used Zimecterin Gold, but I was using it for tape worms, I'm not sure on what else is cures besides that.
You may have to order Valbazen if you can't find it locally.
Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Morning everyone!! Beautiful day today , i was wondering if my fellow North Carolina BYCers could help me out. So far we only have two mature breeds at KBHatchery , Pearl White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. The Barred Rocks are only one week old as of last friday and im in need of one more breed to fill the empty coop and run. If yall would kindly give me some suggestions on what that final breed could be please pm or quote this post
smile.png
Im looking for what breed is in High demand or just all around most popular amongst poultry lovers in NC. But no bantams please. Your input would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

Thank You
Cody @ KBHatchery
Buff Orps sell real well. At least around here they do.

Back
Top Bottom