North Carolina

Dutch.... Was the Silkie shushed? Like half swallowed? Or constricted? If just dead..check for bite marks. Maybe rats? or weasel?

I'm down 6 chickens in 2 nights and 5 of them were really expensive! And for those that have seen my set up I am so paranoid about predators-- My coop is 6'x6'x6' solid cedar opening to a 20'x25' run that's all metal fencing and about 7 ft up the entire top is enclosed in netting to keep out hawks. I even ran extra chicken wire around the bottom of the run to keep baby chicks from being able to squeeze out. If a snake is getting in it's got to be small enough to fit through chicken wire or slide under the door to the run (which is less than an inch off the bottom of the ground, just enough so it doesn't catch).

I'm googling snake traps now, I don't know what else to do. This is something I thought I'd have to worry about being rural, not right here.

Don't have much advice for you. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. I guess maybe half-inch galvanized hardware cloth on the openings that are an inch or larger??

Thanks!

No marks on the silkie at all besides a couple pecks to her wattles on the side face up-- I was thinking if there was a snake and the chickens started going all crazy the silkie could have been trampled by the other chickens since it was smaller?
I don't close the coop because my run is fully fenced in, gated/locked, & the top completely covered. I leave it open for ventilation because nothing SHOULD be able to get into it. The coop opens right into the run. My chicks can't get out so I don't know how something else can get in unless it's small? I don't have any more little chicks left so I don't think it's big enough to eat the other pullets left, possibly my Marans they're kinda small. Though I have eggs on lockdown now so need to get this straightened out.
Going for these snake traps now, just need to find a way to bait them.
I hope this is actually what it is and I can get rid of it.

Beth-- no bite marks, only the little ones gone, no feathers or anything. No digging into the pen or paw prints. I searched everywhere. I'm completely baffled. And my entire backyard is enclosed with a privacy fence. Unless it somehow got in here as a little baby and is hiding out somewhere in the yard? This is the first time I've ever had chicks go missing and I've never lost eggs (not getting any right now though, haven't had egg layers since spring)

Well crap!!!!  :he

The barred rock is still alive, but she's hurt after more than 24 hours she is still isn't walking around on her own.  I have a little bowl of FF right in front of her and she's eating, but hasn't moved.

My final blue Isbar is GONE this morning, once again not a trace.  And we put a padlock on the gate so that rules out human.  Got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and searched every inch of the coop and run for some type of track and didn't see anything.

My blue Silkie (that I paid an insane amount for as a sexed chick from my pet silkie this summer) is dead in the coop.  Too big to swallow, but no bite marks.  Possibly something came in and caused a commotion and the silkie was trampled by the Lav Orps?  There was a tiny amount of blood on her wattles on the side facing up, but I believe after something happened to her (injury) she was pecked at because her eyes, neck & rest of her body were fine so the blood on the wattles I don't believe related to her death.  I check everywhere for fur to see if some animal could have gotten in, and didn't see anything.  My cat slept inside last night (as he does most nights) and he is the one that sits out there and watches them.

My husband doesn't think it's a snake (I have no idea why he doesn't), but that's the only thing I could think of.  He says a snake wouldn't kill the silkie, but based on the condition of the body, I really think it was accidently hurt in a commotion like my barred rock.

I'm down 6 chickens in 2 nights and 5 of them were really expensive!  And for those that have seen my set up I am so paranoid about predators-- My coop is 6'x6'x6' solid cedar opening to a 20'x25' run that's all metal fencing and about 7 ft up the entire top is enclosed in netting to keep out hawks.  I even ran extra chicken wire around the bottom of the run to keep baby chicks from being able to squeeze out.  If a snake is getting in it's got to be small enough to fit through chicken wire or slide under the door to the run (which is less than an inch off the bottom of the ground, just enough so it doesn't catch).

I'm googling snake traps now, I don't know what else to do.  This is something I thought I'd have to worry about being rural, not right here.

Also, I have 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs living under my shed (long story short, we put their hutches in the chicken run and they got out and dug some colony under the shed.  We caught them and put them in the hutch and they were all depressed so we let them run.  We also have chinchillas which are indoor pets, but my daughter left the slider open while my won was playing with one and it got outside.  We've been actively trying to catch it for 2 weeks since they are temperature sensitive, but the thing is fast!  I know it's still alive because I saw it sticking it's face out from under the shed this morning.  I guess if we can't catch it the snake would pick the easier prey?  We leave the hutch door open so they can get food & water.  They eat my garden and will come over to be pet, but at night go under the shed.  Anyway, a snake should be able to eat one of them  unless it's still small I guess.  That's why they're picking off my smallest chicks and eating them whole.  And leaving my larger pullets dead and injured in the commotion.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:mad:

Game cam time. That black plastic netting will catch and kill snakes.

I am so sorry. :hit

Thanks!

No marks on the silkie at all besides a couple pecks to her wattles on the side face up-- I was thinking if there was a snake and the chickens started going all crazy the silkie could have been trampled by the other chickens since it was smaller?
I don't close the coop because my run is fully fenced in, gated/locked, & the top completely covered. I leave it open for ventilation because nothing SHOULD be able to get into it. The coop opens right into the run. My chicks can't get out so I don't know how something else can get in unless it's small? I don't have any more little chicks left so I don't think it's big enough to eat the other pullets left, possibly my Marans they're kinda small. Though I have eggs on lockdown now so need to get this straightened out.
Going for these snake traps now, just need to find a way to bait them.
I hope this is actually what it is and I can get rid of it.

Beth-- no bite marks, only the little ones gone, no feathers or anything. No digging into the pen or paw prints. I searched everywhere. I'm completely baffled. And my entire backyard is enclosed with a privacy fence. Unless it somehow got in here as a little baby and is hiding out somewhere in the yard? This is the first time I've ever had chicks go missing and I've never lost eggs (not getting any right now though, haven't had egg layers since spring)

Sounds like rats to me, if your bunnies and whatever are living under your shed then the rats have the perfect place to hide

Back
Top Bottom