North Carolina

Is there a trick to getting my turkey to raise chicks?

She's been broody for a couple weeks now, I have to keep going out & picking her up off all the chicken eggs and taking the eggs. Then as soon as the next chicken lay she's right back on them. We were at TSC & I picked up a few chicks thinking this might help break her. I put them right under her in the nest box. She's laying on them & keeping them warm, but she hasn't taken them for food or water or anything. They haven't left the nest box at all and it's been about 3 hours. I'm about to go take them out from under her and make sure they drink so they don't get dehydrated. Is there a way to get her to teach them what to do or should I set up my brooder?

I don't know the first thing about this, so take my advice with a grain of salt... But is there a chance that maybe she thinks it's too soon and will start to get up around the time that the eggs were supposed to hatch? Like, with chickens it takes around 21 days, so maybe a hen would feel like she needs to sit a little longer before moving around? Also, if she thinks they really just hatched, then maybe she just doesn't realize they need food yet? Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.. just some thoughts. I snuck baby chicks under a broody hen a month or so ago and I had my brooder set up just in case she rejected them.

I don't know the first thing about this, so take my advice with a grain of salt... But is there a chance that maybe she thinks it's too soon and will start to get up around the time that the eggs were supposed to hatch? Like, with chickens it takes around 21 days, so maybe a hen would feel like she needs to sit a little longer before moving around? Also, if she thinks they really just hatched, then maybe she just doesn't realize they need food yet? Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.. just some thoughts. I snuck baby chicks under a broody hen a month or so ago and I had my brooder set up just in case she rejected them.

Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing.
It seems like she only wants to sit on the eggs not actually be a mom, haha.
I've got them all in the brooder now.
I didn't even want chicks, I only got them hoping to keep the turkey off all my chicken eggs!!!!

Is there a trick to getting my turkey to raise chicks?

She's been broody for a couple weeks now, I have to keep going out & picking her up off all the chicken eggs and taking the eggs.  Then as soon as the next chicken lay she's right back on them.  We were at TSC & I picked up a few chicks thinking this might help break her.  I put them right under her in the nest box.  She's laying on them & keeping them warm, but she hasn't taken them for food or water or anything.  They haven't left the nest box at all and it's been about 3 hours.  I'm about to go take them out from under her and make sure they drink so they don't get dehydrated.  Is there a way to get her to teach them what to do or should I set up my brooder?

How about fake eggs for a few days then the chicks?

I woke up to 3 of my wheaten AMS chicks with straddle legs. I use an old aquarium and I guess the litter wasn't deep enough and their feet touched the glass. I tied some string to their legs but I don't know how long they should stay like that.

I woke up to 3 of my wheaten AMS chicks with straddle legs. I use an old aquarium and I guess the litter wasn't deep enough and their feet touched the glass. I tied some string to their legs but I don't know how long they should stay like that.

I uses a band aid...keep it on 2-3 days. Take it off and give them a day to strengthen their legs. Repeat if necessary.

Bandaids or the medical tape work fine. I do it for 5 days. Good luck with your chicks.

I'm hoping our weather straightens itself out. I want the chicks out of the brooder!

Well......LOLOL.... CHICKEN MATH HAS STRUCK AGAIN!!! YEA,YOU SIT THERE AND LAUGH! I have some BCM/Silkies coming in the end of the week and know I don't have coop space.. someone is helping me fix that part. But with anything voluntary, its not getting done as quickly as I need. They have never had chickens! Well...here's the worst part...I went by TSC and yea,you know the rest of the story......came home with 6 Ameranana's.....they are are in the kids bedroom (they are all grown)..right by where my DH and I watch TV...He doesn't know yet!!!!"""" LOL...He's going to kill me!!"" Can't afford to buy a coop but don't know when my coop will be ready......

Hello all -- I am a new chicken mama in Hendersonville --- we're out in apply country near Edneyville. Anyone local to me on here?
I have 5, 9-day old bantams that we bought from TSC. Currently have them in a large tote thing under a heat lamp but planning to buy their coop very soon.

Michelle

Hello all -- I am a new chicken mama in Hendersonville --- we're out in apply country near Edneyville. Anyone local to me on here?

Not me...way across the state butsure glad for you to be here...you're gonna love it!
I have 5, 9-day old bantams that we bought from TSC. Currently have them in a large tote thing under a heat lamp but planning to buy their coop very soon.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom