North Carolina

I was working on improving French black copper Marans before my rooster was killed by a supposed weasel... Working on finding some really good eggs too but it is very hard to get good genetics!

Awe I'm sorry!
My black copper marans is so pretty but her eggs aren't as dark as I'd like them to be.
I want to be getting the eggs that are 8-9.
I know they cycle, but my darkest from her are still only like a 5 maybe a 6.

I've been looking on ebay, but even the very few that say show quality, the eggs aren't as dark as they could be, or I don't think the coloring is as neat as it could be. And I like a lot of shank feathers. That may not be the quality standard, but I like it, and a lot of the photos people have the shank feathers are almost blotchy
sad.png

Last edited:
I finally had time to take some photos for my blog and here's some of two leghorns I got from dutchbunny. I should've bought 5 more that day, but i didn't know if i was going to like the leghorns

The work of these birds wasn't mine, so I can't take that credit. Bhep was the one that found the eggs for me that these came from, so I can't take that credit either. But my son and I will be working on getting them even better.

I think it's a great idea that you go to the meeting, maybe even bring DH along with you. Everyone could learn a little more about chickens, even if they won't ever need to use the information.
tongue.png

I found and hatched...you have done the rest .
highfive.gif
I had the easy part.
wink.png

Hey folks, I'm from SC but I'm stationed up here in NC. Cherry Point/havelock/new bern area. Craigslist is dry up here! I can't find chickens to save my life. My wife is wanting 3-4 for the backyard. Perfect for the moto of this website. Long time member recently back at it. Thanks for any replies. Inbox me please

Awe I'm sorry!
My black copper marans is so pretty but her eggs aren't as dark as I'd like them to be.
I want to be getting the eggs that are 8-9.
I know they cycle, but my darkest from her are still only like a 5 maybe a 6.

I've been looking on ebay, but even the very few that say show quality, the eggs aren't as dark as they could be, or I don't think the coloring is as neat as it could be.  And I like a lot of shank feathers.  That may not be the quality standard, but I like it, and a lot of the photos people have the shank feathers are almost blotchy :(

Yeah the SOP doesn't call for tons of shank feathers but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be blotchy either :)
The egg color has suffered with many breeds that used to be known for very dark eggs. That is one of the reasons I want to help improve FBCMs. They are a sought after breed but that often leads to lack of quality.
I don't have the color scale yet but I am definitely not happy with my egg color yet. Only one of my hens lays a really dark egg. Don't get me wrong, they lay darker than any of my other chicken breeds. But I totally understand why you wouldn't be pleased with your egg color. :)
If you find a good source for dark eggs let me know!

So after yesterday's swap I'm at 6 chickens and ban from any more sell/swap/trade deals lol the parents put there foot down after trading two EE Roos for two EE pullets and getting a austalorp to add to the Maran and Orpington I already had now feeding 6 chickens and only my leghorn is old enough to lay if y'all want to see pics of my flock let me know I love them bunches lol

Back
Top Bottom