North Carolina

Yeah, everyone does what works for them, what they have time and energy to try, or whatever combination. If I had the time, energy and resources, I'd try a small study on it here. But I've only got about 200 birds, which is an awfully small sample size. And I don't intend to get any bigger, either. Plus, they aren't all one breed, and an initial study would need one breed, to rule out variables based on breed characteristics. I'm tired just thinking about it.

And off to put some of those 200 in the freezer for doggy food. Gonna be a long afternoon.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

We are promised a wet day so be careful while doing outside
chores today folks and have plenty of dry shoes and socks.
We need to get some birds sorted and processed but finding
time and energy is not so easy. Mostly we only have weekends
for this and of course that is the only two days I have for everything
else so it all depends on how far along I get on that list.
hmm.png

Have I mentioned how much I wish they would just leave the daylight
time changes alone??
lau.gif

hope everyone has a good day and stays dry
yippiechickie.gif

On fermented feed:
It may or may not have beneficial health effects but I can tell you for certain the feed lasts longer and that is my number one reason for doing it (All other potential benefits are just happy side effects).
I do wish proper research would be done though. :)

Most of what I've read on fermenting is on whole grains...which are not easy to come by around here. Corn and oats are about it. Would need to find a barley source to go with that. Since barley isn't grown here, that has been difficult. Anyone know sources?

I will look into it and plan on trying it in the summer when I'm off, if the research is supportive. Doesn't look like something I need to try to do during the winter when I'm stretched thin already.

Most of what I've read on fermenting is on whole grains...which are not easy to come by around here. Corn and oats are about it. Would need to find a barley source to go with that. Since barley isn't grown here, that has been difficult. Anyone know sources?

I will look into it and plan on trying it in the summer when I'm off, if the research is supportive. Doesn't look like something I need to try to do during the winter when I'm stretched thin already.
I live up in Avery County close to Grandfather Mountain. Before I started buying grains from a food co-op, I bought barley from Earth Fare. It's a little pricey at Earth Fare, but that's an option until you find another source.

Hello All. I live in Johnston County near McGees crossroads. I'm a country boy from this area but, have traveled all over the world. Just returned a year ago from the Philippines. Lived there for a little over a year. Had lots of chicken there. Built a new chicken house and pen to accommodate about 50 chickens. Have a few already and expecting 25 Australorps in mid Jan. Will be raising the chicken basically for my wife as a little extra income. I do the work, she gets the money. Eventually hope to have about 30 Light Sussex.

Hope to meet some of you down the road sometimes.

Last edited:
I would swear that the fermented food makes a lot of difference in the health of my chickens.  It requires a good bit of work.  If that's not something you can do try the active vinegar in the water  or yogurt. as a treat.

I agree about the health benefits.. I don't use ACV in mine.

I disagree about the work, though. I feed twice a day, and it's actually less work to backslop and refresh every 4/5 days than constantly checking and filling feeders. :)

Last edited:
Well, after sitting back and whining, I had to point out to myself rhat the MG from 2012 is carried by wild birds. Nothing I can do about that. And fowl pox is both contact and mosquito borne, and is also in wild birds. Not much to do about that, either. So neither of these is related to care or conditions within my control.

I have looked at fermented food, but have not found supporting research. Same on vinegar. I would be interested in seeing some research on them.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

And, the FF thread here on BYC is *loaded* with research studies. Loaded. It's a hefty thread, though, so it will take a bit to fibd all the goodies. I linked a few on the FAQ.

Back
Top Bottom