North Carolina

Lol. Thanks. We're actually pretty pleased with the selection. It's so much better than here in Oklahoma! I just have no idea where they allow chickens lol. Reading through the ordinances is difficult on a phone.

You could also look in the Cameron address locations. Straight up 87 towards Sanford, then spreads over towards Vass. We actually just purchased 21 acres - and if I take Vass Rd (Hwy 690) into Spring Lake, I'm about 15 miles from that first gate into Ft Bragg/Pope AAF.

Prices are all over - some for communities, some for modular or single wides on smallish lots, some for stick built on acreage. There were several properties for sale when I was on 690 between us and Spring Lake last weekend. And on Marks Rd (between 690 & Hwy 24 - right off of 87) there was several properties for sale that you could also build on - Marks rd is still mostly "country" - unless you are in a community, there are few, if any, ordinances at this time. Not sure which "township" Marks Rd fall in...(Cameron, Vass, Spring Lake). Several places directly on Hwy 24 for sale as well.

Would be happy to do some drive-bys and take piccies of Real Estate signs if it helps...

********Edited to add

I don't know about realtors in other states, but realtors here are "funny". They seem to only show you what they want to - not what you may be looking for and the ones we've dealt with usually don't want to look at anyone else's listings either. Makes it really hard from out of state when you are looking - because then you arrive and find out just what may have been available & some of that may have been what you were reallylooking for when you "settled" for only what you were offered! We've done the realtor "thing" many times in the last 17 years - all of our last 3 leases and then this purchase were found on our own with lots of "digging" and searching. The realtor we went with to make actual purchase of this property - DID NOT KNOW it was available and she'd just sold property across the road from it!!! It was listed in the "wrong" realtor listing (MLS?) according to her (Sanford - not Raleigh or Fayetteville), but we actually found in on both Auctions.com and Realtor.com...

Several of our acquaintances have found properties by doing drive-thrus of areas, not thru their realtors.

Have room on our place if you need a temp place to stay (spare bedroom could be set up with a bed - up to queen size) - as long as your ok w/ dogs & cats in our double wide manufactured home. We have penned/cooped chickens, free range chickens, rabbits under our carport right outside of our back door and ponies in the pasture on the way thru our front gate...

Last edited:
I lost an Ameraucana two days ago :-( It's so hot in my chickenhouse that they won't lay in there--they're all finding places under bushes and things. One of my Ameraucanas has gone broody up under a storage building, and no matter what barricades I put up, she manages to get back under there every day. I have to reach in and drag her out every evening (chanting, "stay away copperheads, stay away copperheads" because if I leave her overnight the fox will get her for sure.

I am seriously considering (no rolling of eyes please) putting a small window-unit AC in there. I have electricity in the chickenhouse. RIght now there are two windows (one with a small fan that runs continuously), and a vent up at the apex of the roof. I was planning to get the electrician out to put a stonking great exhaust fan up there, but that's gonna cost me at least $1000 bucks, so I started thinking about one of those $125 window units, with the thermostat set around 80. IDK how much it would cost per month to run, but it's got to take a while before it gets up to the cost of the electrician.

Plus, I just don't know how effective an exhaust fan would be, since at the moment it would just be sucking in 100-degree air and blowing it out the top.

That will heal just fine. Irrigate to clean it. Do NOT use the gel to seal it until you know for sure it's not infected. I like to use raw honey on wounds. You can use vetericyn, etc. I also would not use Blu Kote until you know it's not infected.

Sorry about your loss :(
Oh poor fella! I hope that EMT stuff works! What is it? Is it another chicken go to aid that I need in my arsenal? I recently had to use the poly vi sol for a chick and WOW what a difference it made overnight! My new chick was a "stargazer" so out I went in my PJs to find the stuff after reading about it on BYC! I love this site!
Sorry about your loss too :( Cochins are my favs! I only have LF right now but I do have some bantams in the incubator!!

I'm new to chickens but for this heat I have been freezing lots of milk jugs, juice bottles, pedialite bottles... Whatever I can get... With water. The chickens seem to love it. They lay around them and they lay on top. Once they go in for the night I go around collecting them all to refreeze for the next day. I also picked up one of those snake personal misters from Lowes. It was the only one they had otherwise I would have gotten the rope misters to string around the run. At first they were afraid of the mist. But once they saw the wet ground under it they couldn't resist haha. It's like watching kids run through a sprinkler now! I love my chickens haha. I've been doing the frozen watermelon rinds for them too. Anyone have a fan outside for their chickens?? I'm considering that next because it's getting hot!

EMT gel is amazing stuff. We had a dog that got shot last year and we put that stuff on him and within 3 days he was all healed up. It's about 12 dollars a tube from tractor supply and lasts forever! Just a little goes along way. I have been irrigating it with peroxide and water solution and putting that stuff on it. It creates a "seal" around it to keep infection out and draws out any infection and pus. It's like liquid bandaid but it's all natural and has collagen as a main ingredient.

I am in the mtns with cooler nights and hot western sun in my evenings. We are talking 90's even for these mtns this and next wk. I have a large shed roof off the back of my coop where the chickens tend to hang out. Still my hens are suffering with the heat. I can't imagine the middle of the state where its well over 100. I have an exhaust fan in my coop and it is a building like you see prebuilt for storage but even then it is hot.
My faverolle seems to be having the hardest time. I guess from now on I will watch and see who can seem to handle this weather the best and only grow them. You can not completely alter our climate, just adapt to it. Maybe we need to start by putting coops in the cooler , shaded areas of our yards etc.

I lost an Ameraucana two days ago :-(
started thinking about one of those $125 window units, with the thermostat set around 80. IDK how much it would cost per month to run, but it's got to take a while before it gets up to the cost of the electrician.

I am thinking of doing the same thing here! I'm sorry about your loss as well! I keep hearing about ppl losing a chicken in this heat so I may be going overboard trying to keep them cool but I really don't want to lose any due to the heat!

EMT gel is amazing stuff. We had a dog that got shot last year and we put that stuff on him and within 3 days he was all healed up. It's about 12 dollars a tube from tractor supply and lasts forever! Just a little goes along way. I have been irrigating it with peroxide and water solution and putting that stuff on it. It creates a "seal" around it to keep infection out and draws out any infection and pus. It's like liquid bandaid but it's all natural and has collagen as a main ingredient.

Next time I go I'll be sure to grab some! Peroxide I have especially with kiddos always get banged up outside playing so if I ever need EMT gel I'll do the rinse first! Thank you for the info!

My faverolle seems to be having the hardest time. I guess from now on I will watch and see who can seem to handle this weather the best and only grow them. You can not completely alter our climate, just adapt to it. Maybe we need to start by putting coops in the cooler , shaded areas of our yards etc.

Oh no, I hope faverolles do ok out here in Aberdeen. I am expecting some to hatch late in the upcoming week. I have a bird crush on the feather footed breeds so I have LF Cochins and hatching faverolles, d'uccle, bantam Cochins, bredas and then LF brahmas. My hen house is in the shadest and breeziest part of our yard but there are a few hours during the day that it gets sun. I thinking ac set at 80 might be my solution too!

We just went down to Sam's and got a 5000 BTU unit for $120. It says the annual cost to run is $64, so even if I double that since I live down here in Satan's waiting room, I'm still way ahead of having the electrician come out.

Only problem is the chickens are outside creatures most of the time and have to be able to build tolerance for the weather. That is part of living mostly outside. They are not hothouse plants and I do not want them to become so. We forget or for the young people do not remember life without airconditioners. I do. We stayed out of the house as much as possible. and yes I know about Wilmington. I lived and was reared mostly in Shallotte , about 35 miles from there. . The heat was just as much a part of life as the unheated bedrooms were. Lots of quilts kept us warm there and wood stoves in the living area of the house. I will be 70 this yr. but I am not ancient yet. I also lived in Michigan for awhile . It was terribly cold in winter and scorching no air in the city for summer. I will take the ctry. any day. If hens do not make it here, there is a reason. Time will tell.

I am definitely trying that frozen milk jug thing! Do you put them outside?

Yes I put them all around their run where I know it stays shady so they melt slower... Well hopefully they do lol, anyhow I let them out in the morning from the hen house and leave it open if they want to go in there but they mostly like to stay outside. The house has lots of windows (5) and the roof is slanted so there is also hardware cloth up there to also help with ventilation. Sometimes with it all open there are nice breezes so maybe that's why I see a coupl go in and out during the day. I don't bother putting the jugs in there. I just try to make it as comfortable as possible for them since I don't let them free range to go and find nice spots on their own.

Because I feel a cool breeze here and there, maybe I'll start with a fan from Tractor supply first then... If nothing else it will shoo those peaty flys out! ;)

Back
Top Bottom