North Carolina

UGH Stupid rain!
he.gif
barnie.gif
somad.gif
I'm gonna have hobo homeless chickens in my garage forever!
rant.gif

a few of my chickens finally started laying again since they stopped sometime in august. I hadn't even bothered checking for eggs until a day ago when I looked and the nest had 4 eggs. today i only checked one coop and it had one egg, probably more in the other coops. anyone else had any eggs recently?

But my dear, they are not homeless
lol.png
They have a nice garage to live in
lau.gif
, they are dry and out of the wind, what more could they want?
Scott
hide.gif

Thank you Scottcaddy! That actually makes me feel much better! The only thing they really lack is personal space. We started with 8 softball sized 5 week olds in an extra large dog crate which was plenty of room. Now they are more like football sized, and we added a smaller crate, and have 3 in there and 5 in the other. No bloodshed yet, but dustups are starting to happen. I visit and hand feed several times a day to entertain them, and when there is a break in the weather we haul the crates out remove the trays and let them forage while we disinfect and clean the trays. We just need a couple of clear days so they can live in luxury lol. Hubby promised the coop would be ready but we didn't plan on rain just about every freaking weekend lol

Sooo overseas PCS fell through so it looks like we're in Fayetteville for a few more years. I've got a lot of catching up to do on this thread.
Question: anyone local know where I can buy bees? I tried to pre-order for next Spring from Jim's Bees but I've never heard back from him.
I really want to get an order in soon so I don't have to wait another year.

I finally got my calves for this year! Yay! Four handsome boys. I'm so pleased!

The warm weather seems to have allowed time for my POL pullets to almost all start up laying. Even ones I wasn't expecting to start until spring seem to have started. Since most of my adults have slacked off with molt, I'm pleased to have the increase.

I'll be rearranging chickens again this weekend. It seems I keep having to reorganize things. The Buff Orpington girls are currently without a rooster, so they are going to go live with the Dark Cornish. I'll raise out some of those crosses and see how they do for meat birds while I'm raising up new cockerels. I'll move the Legbars from Grow-out into the BO pen. And the surplus Dark Cornish cockerels will go to grow-out to await their trip to freezer camp. I still have some quail that haven't made it to freezer camp yet, and either need to sell or eat the pheasants, too. As I reduce winter work on the chickens, I'm adding to it with the calves! So much fun!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather while it lasts!

Back
Top Bottom