North Carolina

There is also a place near The Biltmore in Asheville. They supply the Biltmore with their chickens.
There are breeds on the heritage list, like the ones you mentioned, there are endangered breeds and rare breeds. I used to hear about buckeyes many decades ago but have not heard or seen any in ages...years... decades.

I think it is great They offer from all ages and that is a great idea. Be careful. My place is now BioSecure. People come but can not leave the paved 1/4 mile driveway. Please don't be offended if the seller asks you to wear plastic bags over shoes to view the chickens. We chicken people don't know where Those shoes have been and they certainly will not go out to my chicken runs. So it is just a safety precaution for their chickens if they are careful And ask you to plastic bag your shoes.

I hear so many times that hatcheries send the Hardware stores chicks they have no control over what they will Get. Unless it is a special order. I also hear from those that bought from bins and they will say I ended up with 20 roos out of the straight runs. The stores have no control over that. In fact the stores sell the chicks at a loss but they More than Make Up for it selling all the goodies you will buy to go with the chicks. So I do understand the draw to buying chicks from hardware type store.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Im in Olivia Nc, just north of Fort Bragg :) i have one lonely pekin duck. Anyone know of any good local hatcheries for ducklings? I know its a bit late in the year but a girl can hope! ;)

Carolina Town & Country in Sanford gets chicks from Hoover hatchery. We have had 100% survival, super healthy chicks. They get chicks every Fri Morning. Little Birdie Hatchery is in Wake Forest also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RoseHillFarmNC

Hi guys! Im in Olivia Nc, just north of Fort Bragg
smile.png
i have one lonely pekin duck. Anyone know of any good local hatcheries for ducklings? I know its a bit late in the year but a girl can hope!
wink.png

You can call Carolina Town & Country to ask when they are bringing in Pekin ducks. Amber is usually the person who orders them. They just had a batch not too long ago (right before Christmas, I think. Whenever it was, they sold FAST). Their ducks are always straight run. They get them from Privett Hatchery - you can get an order list here PRIVETT- and CTC will special order birds for you, if you ask (they have in the past). Usually they get the birds in on Fridays. The first Saturday of every month they have a Flock Swap outside in their parking lot.

Originally Posted by RoseHillFarmNC 

Hi guys! Im in Olivia Nc, just north of Fort Bragg :) i have one lonely pekin duck. Anyone know of any good local hatcheries for ducklings? I know its a bit late in the year but a girl can hope! ;)

You can call Carolina Town & Country to ask when they are bringing in Pekin ducks.  Amber is usually the person who orders them.  They just had a batch not too long ago (right before Christmas, I think.  Whenever it was, they sold FAST).  Their ducks are always straight run.  They get them from Privett Hatchery - you can get an order list here PRIVETT- and CTC will special order birds for you, if you ask (they have in the past).  Usually they get the  birds in on Fridays.  The first Saturday of every month they have a Flock Swap outside in their parking lot.
Your not too far from one of my favorite winery families. Duplin

Whiting True Blues

Hi folks, I've just placed an order with Murray McMurray for 25 female Whiting True Blues.

This is a breed developed for MMcM that breeds true for consistent blue eggs. You can see the description here:

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/whiting_true_blue.html

They've been really, really hard to get: sold out within minutes of being listed. I ordered 25, because that's the minimum order, to be shipped the week of Feb 12th. All the other hatches through the rest of the spring are sold out.

If you're within driving distance of Wilmington NC and are interested in some of them, mark your calendar. I'll be posting in Buy Sell Trade once they arrive. (I can't take pre-orders per site policy).

I think a hawk just grabbed one of my chickens.
We were outside and heard a commotion, but never saw the bird.
They're fenced in and we're in the city there wasn't a dog, opossum, raccoon, etc so it had to come from the air.
There were feathers everywhere, but she got away and ran into the coop.
There's a pretty big split in her side (bigger than how it looks in the pic), but it doesn't seem to go down into the meat.

I have her separated, but what can I do to get that skin to heal up???
I haven't had a hawk issue in a few years, but when I did previously I didn't have any wounded birds, they were killed.
It's under her wing on her one side.

THANK YOU!

EDIT: a non-chicken friend that has human medical experience recommended I wash it up and try to krazy glue the wound shut, thoughts on this???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom