North Carolina

For common breed Urban Chicken is great place to go as they have very good feed there as well. I like Little birdy hatchery but the feed was too fine and there was lot of dust. Also its bit far in not in town but to the north... I am like to raise for beauty, egg laying, friendliness, hardiness and good feed need to egg output ratios.. Its rare I can find chicks like that at these locations but have them shipped from (not so far) and love hatching them out. I offset cost a tiny bit with selling a few .
Never have lots cause it takes about 12 shipped eggs just to get a few females. Like the cream legbar but little birdy list them at 40 ea and doesn't even have any..Mine are hatching right now..so cute..

Looks rough but that she can recover. I've used just some mind antibiotic cream and brought her inside in 4x 3 rabbit cage type enclosure to rest up. Gave lots of treats-had longer dark time mimicking winter for more sleep hours..Had good luck with that.

You can put triple antibiotic ointment on it and/or blue lotion spray. I would keep her in a separate cage until she heals so the other chickens won't pick at her. I'm sure it will heal up just fine. I had a guinea who was attacked by something (probably a skunk or coon) when she was sitting on eggs somewhere and when I finally caught her there were maggots all up in the wound and you could fit a fist up in the hole. About the grossest thing I've dealt with in many years. I don't see how she was alive. Anyway, I flushed it all out with betadine, peroxide and water and then sprayed it with Granulex and then covered that with AluShield. Amazingly, she healed up and is perfectly fine now. I kept her in a cage until she was totally healed up - a long time!! I had to flush it every day for a long time and would debride it with gauze and cleanse it with betadine or nolvasan. All this to say that although the wound looks bad, I'm sure it will heal up just fine. The poor chicken is probably terrified, however. I had a hawk grab one of my d'uccles one day and ran out the door to intercept it. Fortunately, the hawk dropped Priscilla and she only had a cut on her little comb. Neosporin healed it right up but she is extremely wary of walking across open areas now!!

It's deeper than I thought at first she's alert but very
stressed

You might try a butterfly closure if you can get it to stick to the skin. Superglue works on wounds, but I think it might be a nightmare trying to hold the skin together while you apply it, and not getting feathers into the glue. Or yourself.

It does look pretty superficial--personally I'd probably slather it with antibiotic ointment a couple times a day and leave it to heal. The main thing is going to be to keep her isolated from the other birds, because chickens are ruthless ********.

Yes, but I'm new to this forum so can't post in trade area just yet. I actually am hatching now-there'll not be enough females to go around but will have some... Me and companion are actually fairly well known locally. Chicks are Greenfire Farm Rees import line.

Charli Jo, N. Raleigh

The English Lavenders are from multiple sources-should be very nice selecton --They are in Brinsea bators now so some time yet til hatching but will contact anyone interested when time comes..
charli

It's deeper than I thought at first she's alert but very stressed
I would be careful about closing it up with a glue - if it gets infected underneath, you would have a real mess. Just flush it out and apply the antibiotic ointment and/or spray it with blue kote. I like the Granulex better if you can get it. It needs to heal from inside out. Poor girl! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom