North Carolina

Any one in the Burnsville area having chicks hatching soon [Bantams] if possible, I have 3 broodies who have been sitting on eggs [shipped eggs] and this time it hasn't gone so well one hen is sitting on some that started and quit the other hen is sitting on OEGB eggs that aren't fertile and only one hen has 4 that look promising hatch day May 11th so I'd like to get some chicks for the 2 that are going to be disappointed. Doesn't have to be but a few for the 2 but I am sad they aren't going to hatch anything.

Thanks in advance.
Patti

I wrote a note separate from the pic - but it doesn't seem to have posted. 2 Rouen, 1 Pekin that are about 2 months and 2 Cayuga's about 6 weeks :) We're building their outdoor house but has to be fully enclosed - too many predators in the area. Right now they're happy inside and get a shower/bath everyday. And treats like grass soup, green beans, watermelon, etc. They're fun but some work. They will sit with us (one at a time) we try about 5 minutes each sitting on our laps, they calm down after a minute but never seem to be completely settled - we are trying to get them friendlier (tamer?) you could say?

We've Had them since they were a couple days old but they squak and put up a huge fuss when we try and take them out of their "bed" to go to the bath. We usually let them walk but they have to be herded lol - they haven't seemed to learn the way to the tub (straight shot about 15 feet then a right turn into the bath). They don't seem to like to be handled, or picked up, they even get fussy if we get close to there "bed", but we've read they get tamer as they get older. To me they just seem annoyed when we get close unless we have food lol. Do you know if they get tamer? It doesn't seem to be happening haha.

It's nice to be a part of this community and nice to meet you! "We" are myself (Sonya) and my husband Nigel.
1f600.png

I had ducks many years ago...only one of them ever "warmed up to us" enough to let us cuddle him. They seemed to prefer to just do their own thing. But they were very sweet!

I agree about the predators...and we are in the process of building our Chicken Fort Knox! I've wanted to get chickens again for a long time but wouldn't get them until I knew I could be here to put them up before dark. I worked in Asheville and our farm is 45 minutes north in Marshall. In the winter it was impossible to get home before dark. Sadly we lost our 4 ducks and chickens to a predator. I swore I wouldn't get them again until I retired or could work from home. I now work from home so I have chicken fever!!! I'll be getting 15 chicks to raise at the end of June! 3 Light Brahma, 3 Faverolles, 2 Cochins, and 7 Easter Eggers!

I'll post pictures of the coop and our Fort Knox chicken yard when it's all done!

I'm excited! It's nice to meet you as well!

REEDY FORK ORGANIC FARM
An Organic Valley Dairy

George and Cherry Teague
7092 Sockwell Rd
Elon, NC 27244
(336) 449-4888

I believe they ship and also supply stores, give them a call and ask.

Back
Top Bottom