North Carolina

too bad it's 214 miles from my house. anything like this in western nc? this is the story of our short chicken life so far, we have to go off the mtn to get chickens. i guess thats what you get for being a hillbilly. (i do have all my teeth)
the Carolina Chickenstock is going to be September 22nd from 9-2 in Lincolnton

here is our website www.carolinachickenstock.weebly.com

there are all kinds of poultry and poultry supplies available

Good morning all...lots to do before the family goes on vacation. I am doing a mad dash to get the laundry all caught up..diapers stuffed and ready to go (I REFUSED to buy disposables for this trip...I always end up with WAY more than I need, because I never know how many they'd go through.). I am a bit nervous as this will be DD1's first time flying in a "big girl seat" all by herself (she will be sitting in the row WITH daddy). My biggest fear...aside from the worse case scenario where she screams the whole flight...would be that she forgets she's "potty trained" and is either too scared or too distracted to remember to go potty....then there's the whole trying to fit 2 bodies into an airplane bathroom!!
sickbyc.gif
HEHE...I guess I should feel slightly bad for my husband then...but nah, I don't!! LOL. I will have the wonderful task of keeping our 3 mo old quiet...she's a happy baby and will probably laugh the whole flight - but I know some fliers don't want to hear kids AT.ALL. I am also sad because I didn't plan it well, and our broody is sitting on eggs that are set to hatch while we're gone. We chose NOT to isolate her - mainly because of fear that our house/chicken sitter would forget to check the other building and thus we would have a clutch of dead chickens and a dead mama. I am always nervous, even though our sitter is very reliable...he LOVES chickens and misses his own (he lost all of his to foxes - they would drag them to the river behind his house, and drown them - I guess to preserve them in the cold water?!?) and dotes on ours. He's gone so far as to bring worms and snakes and such as "snacks" for the chickens. Still, he's an older gentleman....so I don't want him forgetting!! Wow...I'm babbling more than usual this morning...sorry. Have a great day everyone!!

i'm in boone. lincolnton is only a little over and hour away. that might be doable. my wife wants eggs of all colors so these are what we are looking for. ee's welsummer's, blue laced wyandottes, light sussex, amerucana,aracuanana and we've seen an olive egger (amerucana/black copper maran mix) any one know of other chickens with neat colored eggs?

we already have two black astralorps, 3 silkies, 2 lav orps, and 2 french marans. all straight run, 9 days old.

thx for all the help, andy

Yesterday.... Saw the cutest thing and had to share with someone who might get a kick out of it....

I peeked out the window on my way to "release the beasts" for the day, and noticed in the duck pen some morning dabbling in the water dish. (I have two muscovies that share the pen with a silkie chick.) No big deal right? They do this every morning before I let them out for the day... But the silkie was dabbling with them! So cute! He would dip his beak, swish, stand up and repeat. Not drinking (dip, tip beak up and swallow), but dabbling!

When I got my first muscovy duckling, (I didn't know about adopting 2 ducklings at a time!) I picked up a couple week old silkie chick at the same time. We called them "the chucks." I could never really tell if they would act more like chickens or ducks as they grew up. I introduced another muscovy to them a few weeks ago (who was a little younger than them) and have had no problems at all. They are their own little flock and still mix and mingle with the other chickens with no problems. The only thing the chicken doesn't do so far is swim in the pool with/like the ducks. They are so fun to watch!!

Stacey

Morning Everyone! Thanks bennie! I just sold 150 beers yesterday and hopefully will be going "legal" sometime soon. Momma Red is still sitting perfect.
I get to work this AM and the boss is on vacation for a week, so everybody acts like they get a break too.......and "common" sense should be renamed to "uncommon" friggin people....... I'm not a "WIZ KID" by anymeans but if your laptop isn't working try plugging the darn thing in......At least I'm getting a beach day this week =) HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE

i'm in boone. lincolnton is only a little over and hour away. that might be doable. my wife wants eggs of all colors so these are what we are looking for. ee's welsummer's, blue laced wyandottes, light sussex, amerucana,aracuanana and we've seen an olive egger (amerucana/black copper maran mix) any one know of other chickens with neat colored eggs?

we already have two black astralorps, 3 silkies, 2 lav orps, and 2 french marans. all straight run, 9 days old.

thx for all the help, andy

Here is the link to the Chickenstock thread. Post what you are looking for there and you can set up pre-sales or just look and see what people are bringing. You will also meet some other BYCers there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/619594/carolina-chickenstock-spring-2012/590

Hi 5pinkbunnies!!!! Your ducks are so darn cute!!!
hugs.gif
I wanna hug 'em!

I am in a HAPPY duck mood actually! Yesterday I spent most of the day sorting out what I wanted to get done in the garden and the chicken coops. I finally gave them all a good cleaning and moved my cochins in with my silkies. Then I moved sweet Lily (The coyote surviving duck for anyone who hasn't seen the story) into the cochin pen since its a converted dog house on the ground. It's easy for her to come and go, and she's REALLY happy to have the room to move. She's spent the last 5 weeks in a bathtub and a 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' pen! She now has a 2' x 3' coop with an 8 ft run. I'm just going to work out a way to get a little pool in there and she's good for awhile. If I ever release her to the pond again, it may be next year if I feel the coyote has moved on. Fat chance though!

Which reminds me... after bugging me for years, hubby finally got a 22 gauge. Man, that thing is big! Definitely over kill!

Back
Top Bottom