North Carolina

My boyfriend and I live around the Lewisville area of NC. We got our chickens around the first of June. They are black Rosecomb bantams with some other mixed breeds in the flock. This is our coop. We are wanting some Rhode Island Red bantam, Anyone buy/sell/trade?

welcome-byc.gif
glad to meet you kids
frow.gif

hope you enjoy the forum here and your new
chickies
big_smile.png

Im dying to know if it lived, we have had the misfortune of having a few eggs that didnt hatch, we tossed them. I wanted to try to help it but was afraid it would suffer if I did.
[/quote

If you're referring to my post about the egg I found, the little chick didn't make it. The mother is a bit aggressive and while trying to help her out of the shell, she pecked too hard and killed her. I think, had I kept it inside under heat, she might have hatched in a few days. But I for one will never be messing with unhatched eggs again. If she wants to sit on them fine. If not, fine.

Taking a lunch break. The pen where the sick birds were held has been stripped, everything that's scrubbable is scrubbed, and it's sprayed down with bleach. All the hanging cages have been scrubbed and bleached. All bowls and pans and bottles are soaking in bleach water. I also pulled out all the kennels I've transported birds in, and they are scrubbed and bleached, too.

While we are working, hubby and I have been discussing future plans. We've decided to look at this as an opportunity to revamp everything. (Gotta find that silver lining)
So, I'm going to do some thinking out loud......

The 10 x 30 lean-to pen will once again hold rabbits, but not my beloved French angoras. This time I'll be looking for a trio of Californians. So one length will hold hanging cages for them, and for grow-out. I still have my big five foot breeder cages from the angoras, and they'll do fine. The opposite length, we'll try quail. I can do 30 feet of hanging cages there too, so I will likely try a couple different types to see what works best for us. And that's it for that pen. Nothing on the ground.

We've decided we don't want to do pheasants or bantams...at least not to start off. We may add a trio or so of pheasants later, but I think we won't do bantams again.

We'll keep turkeys as we always do. I'll probably get more poults in the spring, regardless what happens to Bob and company.

Choosing chickens will be harder. My henhouses are 8 x 12,and two that are 10 x 16. That one is a duplex, all under one roof. Those all feed into pasture space. Plus the 8 x 8 Juvenile detention, two pens under the sheep side of the barn which we are planning on rebuilding, so I don't know yet what we'll have there, and the kennels. Two kennels are about 8 x 12 x 6 high, and the third is 10 x 10 x 4 high. I think I'll reserve those for meaties, grow-out, or something.

But with three main pens, I can keep three breeds. Well, roosters. I need to watch my roosters. I want a brown egg layer in one pen, a dark egg layer in another and Easter eggers in the third. Since I'll be able to tell eggs apart, I can distribute surplus hens wherever their eggs don't match and still have control over breeding the dominate breed in the pen.

So, my dilemma...there are three breeds of brown egg layers that I want. I love the B/B/S Orpingtons. I also like Wyandottes. And I've always wanted Dark Brahmas, and this is the perfect time to try them out. But I'll only be able to keep one breed as a breeding group. Which shall it be? Same on dark egg layers. We've decided we don't want Marans again. Nor Pendescenas. But I can't choose between Welsummers or Barnvelders.

I'm thinking what I should do is get a dozen pullets and two cockerels of each breed I want, and then choose when they are grown. All I'd have to do is remove the roos from the breeds I choose not to keep, and keep the hens for layers.

Opinions on this tentative plan are welcome. I know few of you have been here and seen how things are set up, which is why I described housing space. I don't think I'll be able to order chicks until spring anyway.

A winter without chickens. Whodathunk? But we'll be planning. And break time is over, so back to work for me!

these are the coops i just built for my chickens when it's time to leave the brooder. (2 week olds) i'm gonna build a run between two of them. the sides lift up for easy access to the eggs/cleaning and they are waterproof when closed. vinyl floor, nesting boxes, and roosting bar inside. i'm coop crazy!!! i actually built three because i love to build them.

Back
Top Bottom