North Dakota

Kodster. Be sure to message me when your second batch hatches. Depending on where I sit with numbers I could take a few. What part of the state are you at? I am about smack dab in the middle!

Marvun22, I have kept them the last couple of winters, and luckily have had no losses.... (Knock on wood). My coop is pretty big. At least 20 x 30 and it was split into 3 sections. I've never kept more than 10 chickens through the winter so this will be an interesting one since I am planning to keep 20-30 this year. One section of my building has a cement floor and I run a heater there. The cats and dogs come and go from there to stay warm. I separate that section from the chicken side with a screen frame for a door. I also have two ducks and two geese this year that I have not had before. They have been staying in a smaller shed, and I am hoping to keep them there since the ducks stink so bad. (If I can sneak it past my daughters, I would love to be rid of the ducks.). For some reason the geese are not nearly as smelly. But I am hoping to just keep a good layer of hay in there and not have to heat that shed for them. All my birds free range together right now wish is probably a good thing for that big Peking duck.
wink.png
. I am hoping to get breeding pens up before winter starts so I am ready for the spring. I have big plans for next year too. Just hope I can convince the husband to go along with my crazy fowl plans!
Hmm same with me. I thought that when I was getting a goose I was getting some loud, mean, and smelly creature. I was right about the loud and the mean. They keep themselves clean. My geese are heroes. They have fended off foxes and coons. I have the same problem with my wife. I have a big poultry project planned. The total amount of the birds alone (not counting the pricing of making their houses) is around $1020. I wanted to get 50 hens, 5 roosters, 27 ducks (female), 9 drakes, 6 ganders, and 6 geese (female). That might seem like something is overpriced, but I'm getting some cool breeds. I had Sebastopol Geese in that order. I have 6 Canada Geese in that order. I have Muscovy, Ancona, and Silver Appleyard ducks as well. None of this is ordered, but I'm hoping I can do it in 6-8 years. I'm putting away money getting ready for it. If you cared, I could post my whole order. It takes up a whole 3 pages on Microsoft Word.

Hmm same with me. I thought that when I was getting a goose I was getting some loud, mean, and smelly creature. I was right about the loud and the mean. They keep themselves clean. My geese are heroes. They have fended off foxes and coons. I have the same problem with my wife. I have a big poultry project planned. The total amount of the birds alone (not counting the pricing of making their houses) is around $1020. I wanted to get 50 hens, 5 roosters, 27 ducks (female), 9 drakes, 6 ganders, and 6 geese (female). That might seem like something is overpriced, but I'm getting some cool breeds. I had Sebastopol Geese in that order. I have 6 Canada Geese in that order. I have Muscovy, Ancona, and Silver Appleyard ducks as well. None of this is ordered, but I'm hoping I can do it in 6-8 years. I'm putting away money getting ready for it. If you cared, I could post my whole order. It takes up a whole 3 pages on Microsoft Word. 

Haha. I have a "wish list" Of the chicken breeds I want to get. It's a good 2 pages long. I never really wanted the ducks, nor the geese, but the ducks needed a home and so we gave them one. Same thing with the geese. I do not mind the geese, mine are not mean, they only hiss at the dogs, but they are also young yet. They were hatched in May, so we will see how they behave once they are more mature. They are definately cleaner and way less smelly than the ducks. I am still trying to convince my daughters to let me re-home the ducks.

Funny how those fowl can take things over and make you just want more and more and more! We started with 5 little hens, picked up a few more the next year, and this year we hatched 3 more dozen.

I would definately want hens, but may consider a rooster to breed them with if I can get breeding pens set up. I have lots of roosters now, but am slowly making my way through thinning them down to what I plan to keep through winter. I have a few who like to hang in the duck/geese shed, but I wasn't planning to heat that building through the winter, so I am not sure they will survive there. My chicken building is heated.

I actually live over near Driscoll, but my husband also travels for work fairly often (he is a handyman). And I have family in Bismarck, Dickinson and Fargo, so we travel around visiting somewhere a couple times a month.

I would sure look over your wish list too! Maybe we are hoping for some of the same birds!

Here it is, copy and pasted directly from the document I have it on. I only have chickens on this one.
Chickens Total Number: 50(hens), 5 Roos
Breeds
Buff Orpington Hen 10
Black Australorp Hen 2
Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen 2
Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen 2
Rhode Island Red Hen 2
New Hampshire Hen 2
Easter Egger Hen 2
Blue Cochin Hen 2
Barred Plymouth Rock Hen 2
White Leghorn Hen 2
Partridge Wyandotte Hen 2
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Hen 2
Speckled Sussex Hen 2
White Jersey Giant Hen 2
White Orpington Hen 2
Black Jersey Giant Hen 2
Delaware Hen 2
Buckeye Hen 2
Barnvelder Hen 2
Welsummer Hen 2
Buff Wyandotte Hen 1
Buff Plymouth Rock Hen 1
Buff Orpington Rooster 1
Rhode Island Red Rooster 1
Golden Laced Wyandotte Rooster 1
Delaware Rooster 1
Easter Egger Rooster 1

Though it looked more organized on the document.

Last edited:
Here it is, copy and pasted directly from the document I have it on. I only have chickens on this one.
Chickens Total Number: 50(hens), 5 Roos
Breeds
Buff Orpington Hen 10
Black Australorp Hen 2
Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen 2
Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen 2
Rhode Island Red Hen 2
New Hampshire Hen 2
Easter Egger Hen 2
Blue Cochin Hen 2
Barred Plymouth Rock Hen 2
White Leghorn Hen 2
Partridge Wyandotte Hen 2
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Hen 2
Speckled Sussex Hen 2
White Jersey Giant Hen 2
White Orpington Hen 2
Black Jersey Giant Hen 2
Delaware Hen 2
Buckeye Hen 2
Barnvelder Hen 2
Welsummer Hen 2
Buff Wyandotte Hen 1
Buff Plymouth Rock Hen 1
Buff Orpington Rooster 1
Rhode Island Red Rooster 1
Golden Laced Wyandotte Rooster 1
Delaware Rooster 1
Easter Egger Rooster 1

Though it looked more organized on the document.
Hey, you want my GLW roo? He's 18 weeks old this week, and I thought he was a she! SURPRISE! Opened the door to the chicken house, and he/she's going at it with a Black Australorp hen, right there at the door! I don't want him, and if I don't re-home him, he's destined for freezer camp this weekend. He's the only GLW I have (was a free exotic chick from McMurray Hatchery, back in March). Let me know! I'll deliver!

Hi, anyone know of anyone in ND that has a traditional line of Buff Orp in ND that sells eggs or pullets? I'd like to go that route next spring vs. the hatchery line. Haven't been able to find anyone yet.

I will have some by then. I have 4 week old pullets, along with a 4 week old cockerel, so they'll be laying fertilized eggs by then. Which do you prefer? Eggs or pullet chicks?

Back
Top Bottom