North Dakota

Pics
All I can think is how nice it would have been to have this rain back in July when my yard was brown and my garden was struggling. Every year when the weather turns like this, I think I am closer to the decision to move back south. And then I remember how stinking hot it gets there..... And I think I should be a snowbird and move back and forth.... Too bad that it wouldn't be too great for the kiddos. ;)

I know near bismarck here average is something like 2.25" for the past month and were at 9" or more. No kidding would have been nice to have this with the garden in july! My chickens still run around in the wind/rain/cold, they love all the bugs it draws, plus they don't want to look like wimps to the local pheasants! They do tend to stay near the evergreens though for good reason.

Not so well. This weather is turning quite quick this year and it has been very rainy and wet all year north of Minot.

So, fellow N. Dakota flock owners. Do any of you sell eggs to business's or restaurants? Right now I've been just hovering with work/family as my customers but would like to expand into have a large laying flock for the sole purpose of making (maybe) a small profit. Just wondering if anyone here is doing something like this.

So, fellow N. Dakota flock owners. Do any of you sell eggs to business's or restaurants? Right now I've been just hovering with work/family as my customers but would like to expand into have a large laying flock for the sole purpose of making (maybe) a small profit. Just wondering if anyone here is doing something like this.
I just sell to some people locally.

Do your local customers ask you for eggs or do you ask them, just out of curiosity. It just seems like I'm always having to ask people if they want them, even repeat customers and then it's like they are just taking them to be nice. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, I mean, I have nice new egg cartons, every egg is almost perfect since I candle each one and anything misshapen or odd I keep for myself. There's never anything on the eggs since I keep their nest boxes clean and anything on them I brush off. It's just kind of a let down you know, after hearing how excited peoples customers are in other parts of the country. I only charge $2. Maybe I've just got it wrong and I'm the one that's supposed to keep track when people need eggs lol.

So I was considering the grocery store idea, but was just curious how strict the n. Dakota laws are. I've done some reading on it and really you just have to wash the eggs and have some one inspect your farm and where you wash the eggs...so it shouldn't be so bad I guess.

Last edited:
Do your local customers ask you for eggs or do you ask them, just out of curiosity. It just seems like I'm always having to ask people if they want them, even repeat customers and then it's like they are just taking them to be nice. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, I mean, I have nice new egg cartons, every egg is almost perfect since I candle each one and anything misshapen or odd I keep for myself. There's never anything on the eggs since I keep their nest boxes clean and anything on them I brush off. It's just kind of a let down you know, after hearing how excited peoples customers are in other parts of the country. I only charge $2. Maybe I've just got it wrong and I'm the one that's supposed to keep track when people need eggs lol.

So I was considering the grocery store idea, but was just curious how strict the n. Dakota laws are. I've done some reading on it and really you just have to wash the eggs and have some one inspect your farm and where you wash the eggs...so it shouldn't be so bad I guess.
My customers ask. I sell them it for the same price as eggs at the store. I'm not trying to make a profit, I just have lots of extras. I've never thought it would be worth all the testing and cleaning for grocery stores. What bothers me is that I have one customer who pays with spare change. She gave me 55 pennies and various other nickles, dimes ,and quarters. I wish I could just say "Just give me 2 1 dollar bills."

I don't know, I mean, I even deliver the eggs when I find someone that wants them. I guess they just don't see the difference between happy chickens running around chasing things being chickens, and ones locked in the dark their whole life. They are just chickens after all /sigh. One of my most hated things I hear lol.

Finding myself indoors quite a bit in the last few days. minus 21 at the farm this morning. bright and sunny however. always a little concerned about my chickens in this weather and more so about my roosters so I added some insulation and a small oil filled electric heater to the rooster coop. Not much help though. Still quite cold in there. One thing to remember is ventilation. Very important to keep the humidity out of your coop in this weather. several years back I installed 6 inch ducts from 18 inches off the floor through the roof. this has worked very well to vent off the moisture from the poo. along with a few vents near the top of the tall wall, all keeping the humidity down with no draft in the roosting area. Also do not water inside of the coop. This also creates excess moisture.
Keep warm and stay safe in this crazy weather!

Picture is the new hen house buidlt several years ago.( before 6 inch ducts were added)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom