North Dakota

Pics
I'd like to hear how you water your chickens in the winter if not inside your coop. Would you share your method?
Thanks.

The small chicken doors are always open during the daylight hours The front sunny non windy side of the coop is always shoveled clear of snow. The water bowls (rubbermaid rubber) are placed 3 to 4 feet from the chicken doors. I guess this is how its done all season so the birds are always familiar with their water dish. I use hot/warm water in the morning when I feed them, which is usually outside also but with the current weather conditions they are all getting fed inside. This gives them all time to drink before it becomes ice . I guess they learn when to drink. I have read that they need water at all times but this is in ideal conditions. Chickens are very hardy along with a good coop and good feed, one drink of water per day is plenty.

Last edited:
I am currently using a heated water base also. It works fine but puts lots of humidity into the air. I am going to order some nipple-style drinkers and use a bucket with an aquarium heater. I think it will make a big difference in the humidity and therefore comfort of my birds.

I am currently using a heated water base also. It works fine but puts lots of humidity into the air. I am going to order some nipple-style drinkers and use a bucket with an aquarium heater. I think it will make a big difference in the humidity and therefore comfort of my birds.
I was thinking of a closed system such as that. Nipple drinkers directly mounted to the bottom of the bucket along with the heater- that just may work. Maybe add some insulation of some type to the bucket.Let us know how that turns out .

I use the heated water dog bowl. Was going to have a friend that does spray foam insulation spray around a bucket except where the nipples are but haven't had him work on that yet. I would think that would work pretty well but I guess I haven't had a issue with humidity so attention gets paid to other projects.

No heat or insulation in my coop but a south side window that shines on their roost. They have been enjoying cracked corn, sunflower seeds, oats and bread for some extra calories, they are active and still laying.

Happy New Year and stay warm!

Just curious on what other people are doing for water for ducks. my chickens are a breeze to take care of with their heated base and metal fount from runnings, but my ducks/geese.....they're a real problem. they knock everything and anything over and make a big frozen mess in their coop resulting in cold feet. right now the current plan of attack has been taking them a couple ice cream pails or water before and after work, but anything they don't tip over freezes almost instantly. Just cant wait for the weather to get a big warmer so I can let them outside again and not have to worry about it.

Just curious on what other people are doing for water for ducks. my chickens are a breeze to take care of with their heated base and metal fount from runnings, but my ducks/geese.....they're a real problem. they knock everything and anything over and make a big frozen mess in their coop resulting in cold feet. right now the current plan of attack has been taking them a couple ice cream pails or water before and after work, but anything they don't tip over freezes almost instantly. Just cant wait for the weather to get a big warmer so I can let them outside again and not have to worry about it.
Mine don't knock over my 2 gallon waterer that is full. Yet weirdly, one 1 1/2 year old just randomly died this morning.

I'm suspecting its more the two geese now that I think about it, since my ducks are only call ducks....idk what I was thinking, thinking they could do that lol. Finally nice out again! Get to let them out so they can go to their little pond, now everyone's happy. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss, I just lost a red star hen earlier this week which is odd too because they seem to be so tough and energetic compared to some of my other breeds.

I'm suspecting its more the two geese now that I think about it, since my ducks are only call ducks....idk what I was thinking, thinking they could do that lol. Finally nice out again! Get to let them out so they can go to their little pond, now everyone's happy. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss, I just lost a red star hen earlier this week which is odd too because they seem to be so tough and energetic compared to some of my other breeds.
Yes I'm so happy its nice right now. My geese haven't don't knock it over either.

Back
Top Bottom