North Dakota

Pics
Great to hear, I've read a lot of good as well, but was interested to hear if anyone from ND had received chicks from them as that's quite a bit of traveling through the mail!

Thanks LeviS, would love to use someone closer but haven't found anything as of yet that isn't about $10 a bird. I guess I could care less personally about show etc, more for eggs/meat practicality. My birds run free range all day so I tend to like the buff/partridge color. Good luck on your bisman birds!
IMO chicks from the hatchery would be the way to go since they tend to be good layers, somthing breeders may have overlooked.

Great to hear, I've read a lot of good as well, but was interested to hear if anyone from ND had received chicks from them as that's quite a bit of traveling through the mail!
Ive had chicks shipped from Pennsylvania and Georgia with less than average mortality. Time of the year may be more important. I wait till mid April or later to get my shipped chicks. Shipping them earlier is quite a risk in this cold country. A lot of people do it but I don't think its worth the risk.

Last edited:
I ordered two batches from iowa and another from mypetchicken, that came in the third week of march. They arrived very active and health, I think there was one dead in each box but that's when we had all that snow and it got really cold, so my brooder just couldn't keep up and I ended up losing quite a few. If I would have been thinking, I would have kept them in the house for the first week or so. This year I should have a heated/insulated room in my barn ready for them, but i'm still going to wait until april this year.

Finding myself indoors quite a bit in the last few days. minus 21 at the farm this morning. bright and sunny however. always a little concerned about my chickens in this weather and more so about my roosters so I added some insulation and a small oil filled electric heater to the rooster coop. Not much help though. Still quite cold in there. One thing to remember is ventilation. Very important to keep the humidity out of your coop in this weather. several years back I installed 6 inch ducts from 18 inches off the floor through the roof. this has worked very well to vent off the moisture from the poo. along with a few vents near the top of the tall wall, all keeping the humidity down with no draft in the roosting area. Also do not water inside of the coop. This also creates excess moisture.
Keep warm and stay safe in this crazy weather!

Picture is the new hen house buidlt several years ago.( before 6 inch ducts were added)

I love this hen house! and the vent idea. I wish I could get the hubs to build me a nice fancy new one.

I like to wait till April/May to get new chicks and hatching and whatnot as well. Just a little easier on the workload for sanity's sake.

Someone was asking about eggs. I usually get customers referred to me from friends who know I keep chickens. I don't sell to the stores, but have also thought about it. I use clean re-used cartons for the most part that are donated to me from friends who prefer store bought eggs. Seems like there are more people getting grossed out by farm eggs all the time. I candle them and wash them and whatnot. I have customers that pay up to 5$ a dozen, but most of them are transplants from out of state who are used to paying 8$+ for organic free ranged eggs in california.
idunno.gif
I give discounts for customers after they purchase so many dozen, and if they buy 3 or more at once. I also do the delivery. It works for me and I always have just enough for our family.

I think that was me that had asked that awhile back. I was thinking about selling to Dans....when it was still Dans, but this was my first winter with the hens and I completely spaced out the frozen eggs. so it kind of put an end to that idea. I've since gained a few great customers that usually clean me out. I still usually have to ask if they want them though.....just feels like it should be the other way around but its the way it is I guess.

Would still like the grocery store idea but I need to work out how to not have frozen eggs. Any excuse to get more chickens!
tongue.png

:). How many chickens do you have now? What breeds? I've got 19 in my coop now. I've got some buckeyes, and welsummers red comets, a few Cochins and super blue layers. Some EE's and one lonely Naked Neck. I guess it's just enough to have a few extra to sell. I figure my birds make enough to pay for their main supplies of food and hay. If I include heat, pretty sure I come out loosing. Maybe over this next summer I will figure out a way to insulate my old coop better and reduce that cost as well.

Nice to "meet" ya.

I have 20. I have red stars, Easter eggers, buff orpington, blue Cochin, buff brahmas, dark brahma, blue laced Wyandotte, white crested black polish. And then I have 5 roosters, a light sussex, dominque, Mille fleur, buff brahma, and white crested black polish...... need to give up a few of the boys. Planning to try and shift into brahmas, I really like my buff brahmas and the pictures I've seen of buff laced brahmas are amazing. Plus their combs don't freeze!

Really?! I had no idea about the brahmas! I had one gorgeous buff orp for a while, but he was such a gentle giant that my big daddy rotten rooster took him out. Made me so sad. I am going to get another this summer I think. He was so handsome ang great with my kids. Rotten roo became roo stew shortly after that business. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom