North Dakota

Pics
So just out of curiosity where does everyone get there feed? Do you make your own? Runnings or Fleet Farm? I was getting it at Runnings for awhile and WOW for expensive 16.99 for a 40 lb.!, just like everything else in Dickinson I guess. Those of you over east are lucky to have fleet farm, their prices were pretty reasonable.

I've been getting it at steffen feeds here in town and was just curious if anyone else in this area gets it from them (western edge, since I think we are the only two in the area on here), its pretty cheap compared to runnings (i think its $10 for a 50lb. bag) and I was wondering if there was a major nutritional difference since its kind of a ground-up powder type feed vs the pellets/crumbles elsewhere.
I've been getting everything at Runnings, but I'll take a look at Steffan Feeds. I do my poultry shopping in Dickinson.

I have to pick up some tomorrow, I'll see if I can score a nutrition label. I might have one on a bag at home yet too if I still have one around. I'm hoping everything is the right %'s because its a much better deal than runnings.

I have to pick up some tomorrow, I'll see if I can score a nutrition label. I might have one on a bag at home yet too if I still have one around. I'm hoping everything is the right %'s because its a much better deal than runnings.
Next time I'm up in Dickinson (not sure when), I'm definitely going to check out Steffan Feeds. If it is really $5 cheaper, it would safe me a LOT of money.

Next time I'm up in Dickinson (not sure when), I'm definitely going to check out Steffan Feeds. If it is really $5 cheaper, it would safe me a LOT of money.

I know right, I go through 250 lbs a month and it adds up fast! The only problem I have with them is that they aren't open on weekends and close at 5 *sigh* so I have to swing through there quick during my already short lunch hour.

I know right, I go through 250 lbs a month and it adds up fast! The only problem I have with them is that they aren't open on weekends and close at 5 *sigh* so I have to swing through there quick during my already short lunch hour.
I have that problem. 5 is early, but I will do it if it saves a nice amount of money.

Southwest Grain on Broadway across from the Dairy Barn sells two types, Payback Layer and Grower. Grower is medicated for day old to fully feathered which is about 6 to 8 weeks, then Layer can be feed after that and and also to the hens. Good people over there and they sell a lot of feed processed at the GTA plant out west of town. Always fresh and yesterday I payed 46 dollars cash price for 4 fifty pound bags. That's 11.50 a bag. The prices do increase with the season.
I make a custom feed of oats, wheat, and field peas which I buy all locally. I would take it to Southwest Grain in Gladstone and have it rolled. I got it figured at about 14 protein. I mix this 50-50 weight wise with the Payback Layer for the hens ration. I purchased an old small roller mill recently and today I used it for the first time. Rolled 400 lbs of the oat wheat pea mix. Worked well.
With buying all the grains and including gas money and rolling fees I was only at a little over five dollars per fifty pound bag. Now with the mill I should be under 5 bucks a bag, considerable savings.
Any type of grain fed straight is a good savings also. Oats Barley Wheat Corn Sunflower all can be found locally and used as a part of their ration can cut feed costs considerably. You must be careful on how much of the high fat grains you feed such as the wheat corn and sunflower.
Screenings from grain cleaning can be fed and reduce costs even more. Screenings might be available at the SWG in Dickinson or Gladstone.
Grow your own feed. I grow Butternut squash and store and feed them all winter. Had over 80, 2 to 4 pound squash this year and still feeding them.

Last edited:
I don't live out near Dickinson, but I do something similar to "Western Edge". I get mixed grains and sometimes the screenings from a local elevator and then mix them myself. Some of them I purchase at a different elevator and have them rolled right away. I feed about 25 birds total right now (Not too many) but I have my food costs from June through now down to about 50$. I also grow lots of squash and pumpkins and apples. I store them in bins in the cat shed to keep mice out (Its cold out and they freeze a bit, but you can toss a couple in a bucket, bring them inside to warmup over night and feed them the mushy pumpkins the next day. My hens go nuts for the stuff! the roosters and geese, not so much.

I have found mixing my own feed to be much more economical. Especially when feeding more than just a few birds. In an ideal world, I would love to grow everything they needed to feed through the winter, but without any type of machinery to do so, I cant. so I make do with what I have. I save seeds from the squash and things to replant the next year and so this seems to be a nice way to add extra nutrients to their diet, and give them something to bother with every other day. I might try growing some cabbage this year for the birds too. I think it might store fairly well in my root cellar.

With the screenings, I had a problem with protein content and had to supplement, but with a mix similar to the the one that Western Edge listed previously I seem to get a decent result without needing to supplement much.

I believe CHS (Central Harvest States) , which is called Southwest Grain in this part of the state, is located through out ND where you can buy the Payback brand.
Saving seeds has been a part of my gardening each year. In the recent years Ive grown different types of open pollinated veggies, saving the seeds of several varieties of many different vegetables. This season I plan to grow the Waltham Butternut squash, reportedly a good keeper. Also a good keeper is the Late Flat Dutch cabbage. Golden Acre , not a good keeper. Also looking for a " keeper " type tomato for the chickens and me.
Would be nice to grow most all their food, but like Loghousemom said its just not practical. It took a little looking to find a steady supply of the grains and several years of looking for an affordable roller mill but it has made it all a little easier and somewhat affordable.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to figure something else out, just went to steffans and they've upped their price to $12.50..... just after I go and tell everyone what a great deal theirs was lol. I'll have to visit the elevator in Gladstone and see what I can come up with. I plan on having a big garden this year, so i'll take your advice and plant some squash and other veggies just for the girls.

I'm going to have to figure something else out, just went to steffans and they've upped their price to $12.50..... just after I go and tell everyone what a great deal theirs was lol. I'll have to visit the elevator in Gladstone and see what I can come up with. I plan on having a big garden this year, so i'll take your advice and plant some squash and other veggies just for the girls.
even at $12.50, that's better then Runnings still.

Back
Top Bottom