North Dakota

Pics
Anyone have chicks ordered or planed for this season? What kind and from where?
I ordered 17 Norwegian Jaerhon for white layers and a few Buff Orps for broody hens for hatching.
From Ideal Poultry to arrive around the 16th of May. Should be warmer by then. :)

This is my order due to arrive in mid-July... due to availability of the birds I wanted all being at the same time... from Meyer:

BFBM Buff Brahma Standard Male 1
MMMF Meyer Meal Maker 1
BLMF Black Copper Marans Female 2
LAOF Lavender Orpington Female 2
BFBF Buff Brahma Standard Female 5

These are to arrive mid-April... also from Meyer:

PAPM Partridge Penedesenca Male 1
MMMF Meyer Meal Maker 1
LAOM Lavender Orpington Male 1
LAOF Lavender Orpington Female 1
GLWM Golden Laced Wyandotte Male 1
BCSM Blue Cochin Standard Male 1
BCSF Blue Cochin Standard Female 2
PAPF Partridge Penedesenca Female 2
ACOS Assorted Cochin St. Run 6

Here's my order due to arrive mid-April... from McMurray:

PIOS Pioneer St. Run 24
GOWC GOLDEN WYANDOTTE Males 1
FRCS Free Rare Exotic Chick 1

I also have 12 Bourbon Red turkey eggs and a pair of White Emden goslings due to arrive at the same time from McMurray.

This is my order due to arrive in mid-July... due to availability of the birds I wanted all being at the same time... from Meyer:

BFBM Buff Brahma Standard Male 1
MMMF Meyer Meal Maker 1
BLMF Black Copper Marans Female 2
LAOF Lavender Orpington Female 2
BFBF Buff Brahma Standard Female 5

These are to arrive mid-April... also from Meyer:

PAPM Partridge Penedesenca Male 1
MMMF Meyer Meal Maker 1
LAOM Lavender Orpington Male 1
LAOF Lavender Orpington Female 1
GLWM Golden Laced Wyandotte Male 1
BCSM Blue Cochin Standard Male 1
BCSF Blue Cochin Standard Female 2
PAPF Partridge Penedesenca Female 2
ACOS Assorted Cochin St. Run 6

Here's my order due to arrive mid-April... from McMurray:

PIOS Pioneer St. Run 24
GOWC GOLDEN WYANDOTTE Males 1
FRCS Free Rare Exotic Chick 1

I also have 12 Bourbon Red turkey eggs and a pair of White Emden goslings due to arrive at the same time from McMurray.
Oh I really debated getting some Lavender Orpingtons.

Greetings Fellow North Dakotans. New posting member here, but I have been reading all I can about raising chickens. I'm in east central North Dakota and currently have 60 laying hens and 6 roosters. Winter has been fun, but hasn't taken a single bird from me and I fully intend to keep it that way. I get about 48 eggs a day, which is a bit overwhelming at times, but we manage. I am looking to get straight meat birds this year and educate myself on the best methods and techniques to manage my hen flock as they are not quite a year old yet. I have New Hampshire, Australorp, leghorn, and sex-linked birds in my flock. It's been fun so far and I'm ready for more.

Greetings Fellow North Dakotans.  New posting member here, but I have been reading all I can about raising chickens.  I'm in east central North Dakota and currently have 60 laying hens and 6 roosters.  Winter has been fun, but hasn't taken a single bird from me and I fully intend to keep it that way.  I get about 48 eggs a day, which is a bit overwhelming at times, but we manage.  I am looking to get straight meat birds this year and educate myself on the best methods and techniques to manage my hen flock as they are not quite a year old yet.  I have New Hampshire, Australorp, leghorn, and sex-linked birds in my flock.  It's been fun so far and I'm ready for more. 

Glad everything is working out for you! This winter sure has been brutal yea? I too am getting itchy to get some more chicks, just wish the weather would cooperate.

Thanks!! I want this winter over as well. My girls don't like being cooped up very much. They want OUT!!! Been giving them hay to play with every day, but that just doesn't keep them as happy as when they are out and getting into mischief.

we have not had chickens for quite a few years now.. and this year on march 20th we should have our chicks from purely poultry{they have drop shippers } I ordered 10 buff ops, and 5 each of the following.. black astrolops, RIR, salmon favroule, gold laced Wyandotte's, .. all straight run...will keep about a dozen for eggs and depending on how any of the breeds look for conformity I may keep more than one rooster...I will have two coops and live on an acre with nobody to back of us so can free range very nice... and have 100 x 40 foot fenced area for my dogs but will use for chicks also..jeff

Watch those RIR roosters. We had new hampshires (not exactly the same, but close) and the roosters were complete TERRORISTS. I had to butcher them early as they just wouldn't leave each other or the other birds alone. Vicious and brutal would not quite adequetely describe the ones we had. They make good soup and stew though.

I don't put up with it either. Out of the 6-7 roosters I ended up having this year only one of them tried it, and he never got the chance to try it again. Was really lucky with my last years batch, 2 of my remaining 5 enjoy being held and will jump on your lap, the other three that I still have pretend I don't exist which is fine by me. I'm going to have to cut back on a couple though since they are getting a little rough on the girls and I want to keep some of the Americana and flower hen roosters I may get in my batch this year.

Do you have any laying hens for sale this spring? I am looking for 3 Hens, preferably brown or blue eggs. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom