North Dakota

Pics
Anyone keep bobwhite quail? I've been looking at getting a couple..... One doesn't need a permit or anything do they?
Levi, I have talked with Rose who works at Runnings who said she was hatching quail chicks soon. If you would like I could get some contact info for you. She lives nearby being on the Taylor road near the Heart river. Maybe you know Rose? She works near the animal feed and chick area.

Received some chicks today from Ideal Poultry. Havent ordered chicks for a few years. Kinda missed that early morning drive to the PO to pick up chicks. Norwegian Jaerhon- 10 pullets and 4 cockerels, Buff Orps 8 pullets, and BR. Leghorn 4 pullets. I will work on breeding the Jaerhon. They are an auto sexing breed that lay white eggs. The Orps are to be used for a broody hen project for next season and the brown leghorn for outcrossing. Yea, not sure what that meant either. Now I just need to find room for them.

Hatching is positively addicting. For sure! I only began hatching to help ensure the flock stays healthy and I won't have to take the chance bringing in any diseases. Now 2 days ago a few hens and a rooster started breathing strange. I separated and started treating, but with all them running together I expect they all have been exposed.
barnie.gif
. A few of the fellas at TSC told me that it's likely not serious and just a result of the weather not warming up, but something in my gut is telling me it that's not it. I am housing my birds in an old coop that was here when we bought the property. I cleaned it out well when we decided to move birds in, but I wonder if I stirred something up while I when I started cleaning out the litter a couple weeks ago. I am pretty upset with myself.

Taking the day off today to go out and set up a couple of new outdoor pens because the sick birds can't get outside where I have them now, and I would like them to be able too. Sometimes it never ends.
If I were to guess I would say the breathing trouble is most likely due to current conditions like high humidity or the other end of the scale ,dust , mold or mildew or even ammonia from feces not vented proper or even things they eat this time of year with new green sprouts everywhere , rather than any diseases that may have been lingering .Hope all turns out well. Let us know how it turns out.

Levi, I have talked with Rose who works at Runnings who said she was hatching quail chicks soon. If you would like I could get some contact info for you. She lives nearby being on the Taylor road near the Heart river. Maybe you know Rose? She works near the animal feed and chick area.
I think I have her number somewhere, I'll have to see what she has. I've been eyeing these snowflake bobwhites out of s. Dakota.

If I were to guess I would say the breathing trouble is most likely due to current conditions like high humidity or the other end of the scale ,dust , mold or mildew or even ammonia from feces not vented proper or even things they eat this time of year with new green sprouts everywhere , rather than any diseases that may have been lingering .Hope all turns out well. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the advice. I did treat the raspy birds and separated them. So far the other half of the flock seems good, though last night there was one new raspy bird. I moved them to my garden shed and set up a little temporary yard for them. All except the roo seemed to be better today. The rooster still sounds pretty rattley.

So has anyone here in ND been certified for NPIP? I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and do that this fall once I have most of my birds hatched.

Then again, it seems like its not exactly worth all the hassle. We'll see I guess, haha.
For the few chickens my boys show for 4H once a year, def not worth the hassle! We just pay the dollar per bird right there at our fair when they check them in. Now if you're gonna be bringing a bunch of birds to a sale or something on a regular basis, it might be worth the time and expense. I have around 40 birds, but hatch new ones all the time (from my own and purchased eggs), seems like it would be hard to keep up with. Unless you go to a class and get certified to do it yourself! :)

I have thought about it, but I don't have any kids showing birds yet, nor do I sell too many.

Anybody else currently hatching? I have about 50 or so eggs to hatch in June.

Back
Top Bottom