North Dakota

Pics
Hi All.

It has been a while since posting, because of moving...still in N.Dak. We're located sort of between Minot and Williston. Have lived in Minn. and S. Dakota, too....and Texas, and Az and Ala. and ....

Just thought that I'd pop in and say that I've lived in N. Carolina, near Hickory. Lots more cold in Dakotas than in Carolinas, lol. AND then there is the wind factor.

Hoping to get some Dominiques and see how they fare. I'm pretty certain that a totally free range situation will be next to impossible with the predators, here. Even having them cooped can be dangerous with the weasel population.

Right now, I have a racing pigeon loft that will be experiencing its first winter.

Anyway, I've contacted a breeder of Doms, in S. Dak. but just realized that they have no NPIP #. So...i'll need to check out what sort of hoops to jump through to 'import' birds into N.D.. If this turns out to be a big hastle, (since it would be a long drive, on top of whatever vet stuff would be required to import), I just may resort to using a hatchery order. M not set up for hatching eggs, but could try that, if I have to.

I would like to provide birds for 4-H er's, so proper type would be of concern. But mostly just interested in personal consumption. Maybe hit the state fair if I get something extra nice.

Anyway, I've contacted a breeder of Doms, in S. Dak. but just realized that they have no NPIP #. So...i'll need to check out what sort of hoops to jump through to 'import' birds into N.D.. If this turns out to be a big hastle, (since it would be a long drive, on top of whatever vet stuff would be required to import), I just may resort to using a hatchery order. M not set up for hatching eggs, but could try that, if I have to.
North Dakota doesn't have an NPIP requirement. The only time it's required is if you are going to show the birds at the county/state fairs. And if you do, you can buy the certificate for $1 when you arrive at the fairgrounds, for each bird. There aren't that many testers here in the state, and it's not pushed. That is being worked on, though.

I have a couple of Dominiques, but they're hatchery birds. They're not old enough to produce eggs yet, but getting there. However, I only have pullets, no cockerels, so no eggs for hatching. My only cockerel chick didn't make it. And I'm not going to replace him at this time, and more than likely, not next year, either, because I don't expect to be around this planet come mid-September (I'm a born-again Christian, and VERY much in tune to what the Lord is telling us, in case anyone wonders, so if you consider me a crazy religious zealot, then so be it... we'll see who gets the last laugh).

Over the weekend, I had the experience of butchering a few meat chickens (Cornish X). For my first time, it went pretty well if I may say so myself. I left 2 whole and put them in a shrink wrap bag. The third one, cut the breasts/legs off the carcass. Next month, I have 15 Delaware roos arriving that I'll raise for meat. After that, I'll wait until it warms up before I start on meat chickens again (probably June). Has anyone raised Freedom Rangers? I don't know if I will get Cornish again as they are lazy and I want something that will free range and lower the feed bill.

I am also looking forward to getting eggs in October/November!

I've raised the Freedom Rangers (also called Rainbows). And I've raised the Cornish X. I agree... the Cornish X are too lazy to get up and move around, and just lay around, scarfing food, even on the 12-hr feed/12-hr starve cycle. I started out with a dozen Cornish X, and all but 3 died from heart attacks before they reached their slaughter age. The Freedom Rangers, just like any other chickens, but they are content and docile enough, that they will just sit around, too, unless you force them out of the coop. However, they are not prone to the heart issues that the Cornish X are, and their survivability rate to slaughter age is better, IMO. They dress out nicely, too, size-wise, and processing-wise, too... very easy to clean, and not too much on pin feathers. Good eating, too!

Okay, this question is for people living in west-central or southwestern ND.

I've heard we could be getting a Tractor Supply Co. in Dickinson. Has anybody else heard this? We already have a Runnings, but I wouldn't mind having another place to buy food.

Yep, you're getting a TSC... it should be open by now... it's right across the street from the new Menards.

Thanks for the info. We have talked about putting some kind of wood burning stove in the coop/barn to provide a bit of heat, an idea we got from one of the BYC members in Russia. We have a mix of comb styles but are familiar with trying to prevent frost bite although I am sure it will be much worse there.

I wouldn't put a wood-burning stove in the coop... chances of it spewing out cinders into the bedding, and a fire that will burn down the coop, thereby taking your babies with it, are increased, especially if they're not used to the stove. I use a 1500 watt utility heater and that's sufficient, on the lower setting. It blows the heat out into a 8x12 coop that has 3 windows in it, and they stay comfy, when the temps drop down to zero or below, with wind chill factoring. Otherwise, it's not on. I haven't had to turn it on yet, so far this fall/winter. I have a thermometer/humidity level unit in the coop, too, so that helps to monitor it. I also leave my chicken run door open, so that if they want to come and go... some of them actually prefer to be outside, even in the cold wind, they can... it also provides more fresh air. So far, everyone is happy, except for the ones in my grow-out pen... they don't have the outside option yet, but soon, I think I'll be letting them out, except for my two Pioneer cockerels (about to become roosters, so they won't be around much longer, anyways... they were meant for meat). My Pioneer males are so docile and calm, that I've had a hard time keeping them alive... the other chickens will kill them, and they just allow it!
he.gif
So, they've remained in the protected space of the grow-out pen, and they've been content there.

Hi All.

It has been a while since posting, because of moving...still in N.Dak. We're located sort of between Minot and Williston. Have lived in Minn. and S. Dakota, too....and Texas, and Az and Ala. and ....

Just thought that I'd pop in and say that I've lived in N. Carolina, near Hickory. Lots more cold in Dakotas than in Carolinas, lol. AND then there is the wind factor.

Hoping to get some Dominiques and see how they fare. I'm pretty certain that a totally free range situation will be next to impossible with the predators, here. Even having them cooped can be dangerous with the weasel population.

Right now, I have a racing pigeon loft that will be experiencing its first winter.

I would like to provide birds for 4-H er's, so proper type would be of concern. But mostly just interested in personal consumption. Maybe hit the state fair if I get something extra nice.
Is it next to impossible for them to roam freely? Here they have a large pen, 40x90, and it is uncovered but there are lots of trees, shrubs and bushes for them to hide under. I would like to have a similar set up there if possible but want them to be safe.

I wouldn't put a wood-burning stove in the coop... chances of it spewing out cinders into the bedding, and a fire that will burn down the coop, thereby taking your babies with it, are increased, especially if they're not used to the stove. I use a 1500 watt utility heater and that's sufficient, on the lower setting. It blows the heat out into a 8x12 coop that has 3 windows in it, and they stay comfy, when the temps drop down to zero or below, with wind chill factoring. Otherwise, it's not on. I haven't had to turn it on yet, so far this fall/winter. I have a thermometer/humidity level unit in the coop, too, so that helps to monitor it. I also leave my chicken run door open, so that if they want to come and go... some of them actually prefer to be outside, even in the cold wind, they can... it also provides more fresh air. So far, everyone is happy, except for the ones in my grow-out pen... they don't have the outside option yet, but soon, I think I'll be letting them out, except for my two Pioneer cockerels (about to become roosters, so they won't be around much longer, anyways... they were meant for meat). My Pioneer males are so docile and calm, that I've had a hard time keeping them alive... the other chickens will kill them, and they just allow it!
he.gif
So, they've remained in the protected space of the grow-out pen, and they've been content there.
Great info. The only thing I worry about with a utility heater is the problems that arise if the power goes out. With as cold as I am sure it will be, it would take little time at all for the temp in the coop to drop and for them to be in trouble. They mostly live in a 8x12 now and I know i will be getting more once we get settled somewhere so will probably need a bigger coop this go around.

North Dakota doesn't have an NPIP requirement. The only time it's required is if you are going to show the birds at the county/state fairs. And if you do, you can buy the certificate for $1 when you arrive at the fairgrounds, for each bird. There aren't that many testers here in the state, and it's not pushed. That is being worked on, though.

I have a couple of Dominiques, but they're hatchery birds. They're not old enough to produce eggs yet, but getting there. However, I only have pullets, no cockerels, so no eggs for hatching. My only cockerel chick didn't make it. And I'm not going to replace him at this time, and more than likely, not next year, either, because I don't expect to be around this planet come mid-September (I'm a born-again Christian, and VERY much in tune to what the Lord is telling us, in case anyone wonders, so if you consider me a crazy religious zealot, then so be it... we'll see who gets the last laugh).

Thanks for all the info.

Well, if all that is going to happen in Sept of next year, I guess there's not much reason for me to purchase any chickens. There should be plenty of ownerless chickens to be had, if I don't make the cut.

Thanks for all the info.

Well, if all that is going to happen in Sept of next year, I guess there's not much reason for me to purchase any chickens. There should be plenty of ownerless chickens to be had, if I don't make the cut.

LOL! Come get mine! Check, though, before you show up... just in case.
wink.png

Yep, you're getting a TSC... it should be open by now... it's right across the street from the new Menards.
Yep just visited there. And I definitely will do some shopping there. Some of their food is about $1.50 cheaper a bag. But I will always have to some shopping at Runnings. Runnings is the only one that stock Nutrena. They have two feeds that no other feed line (that I know of) has. All-Flock is what I give all my ducks/geese. And I also am a big fan of their Feather Fixer.

Back
Top Bottom