North Dakota

Pics
Yep just visited there. And I definitely will do some shopping there. Some of their food is about $1.50 cheaper a bag. But I will always have to some shopping at Runnings. Runnings is the only one that stock Nutrena. They have two feeds that no other feed line (that I know of) has. All-Flock is what I give all my ducks/geese. And I also am a big fan of their Feather Fixer.

If they haven't already, they should be getting the Nutrena feed line for poultry. TSC just started carrying it.

I seen it earlier last week. So happy that place is there now, I really don't like runnings or any other place I've tried to get feed. Just worried it might not stay open, I don't think I've ever seen another customer in there when I've been there.

Im trying to ramp up production from my pullets. I have added a light on a timer to come on at 5am and last week I added some all-flock ( 18% ) to the feed ration which has already showed results. I was already using payback layer in the ration but the protein of the ration may have still been low causing the lack of laying. The coop may be a little crowded so next step is to drop 20 or so birds.Curious how others egg production is in this time of dark and cold and which breeds are doing best.

I have been mixing gamebird developer with layer 50/50 which makes it 18% as well. They seem to do fine as I have been been getting between 24-28 eggs from 37 hens a day this last month. I start my timer from 5:30am-9:00am then back on from 4:30pm-9:00pm. Mine are in a greenhouse so this might make a difference. My coop is 8X12 with 4 foot walls and 6 feet at the peak with 42 chickens in it during the night. There is a run that goes to a cattle panel greenhouse which is where they go during the day. They do not have any wind blowing on them at all during the winter. I wish I could find a 20 percent pellet for the chickens. They also get whole corn mixed with wheat screenings in the greenhouse.

My layers have all shut off, I have a light that turns on around 4 am and they get a dumour layer mix. All my pullets from this year are brahmas, they haven't started laying at all and they're almost 8 months old.

I seen it earlier last week. So happy that place is there now, I really don't like runnings or any other place I've tried to get feed. Just worried it might not stay open, I don't think I've ever seen another customer in there when I've been there.
I couldn't agree with that more. I've been there thrice and all 3 times I've never seen one other customer.

Bought a few things from TSC on saturday. Duravet vitamin pack. Like to use this to get the chickens ready for breeding season. The hens need their folic acid! A product called Nutri Drench - a vitamin drench fed orally. Dont know if it will get used. Wazine- might worm before I start hatching. Found another product there called EZ Straw 2.5 cu/ft bales that I will use for mulch on the planted garden in the spring. Little spendy but works so well. No weeds.
The warm weather got me thinking of spring. Was 58 degrees yesterday and 50 something today. Got all the breeding pens set up this weekend. Should be ready to collect some hatching eggs within a couple of weeks.

Bought a few things from TSC on saturday. Duravet vitamin pack. Like to use this to get the chickens ready for breeding season. The hens need their folic acid! A product called Nutri Drench - a vitamin drench fed orally. Dont know if it will get used. Wazine- might worm before I start hatching. Found another product there called EZ Straw 2.5 cu/ft bales that I will use for mulch on the planted garden in the spring. Little spendy but works so well. No weeds.
The warm weather got me thinking of spring. Was 58 degrees yesterday and 50 something today. Got all the breeding pens set up this weekend. Should be ready to collect some hatching eggs within a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to start hatching again, I finally have a some buff laced brahma hens and a blue/gold laced cockerel that I hope to hatch a lot of eggs from. I thought about worming now also, probably going to give it a go since I only get one egg a day now anyway....need to unload a few older hens this spring.

I use pullets from the previous year for breeding then in June when Im done breeding I will sell them as one year old hens, giving someone a young hen that will lay a couple of years and eliminatimg the extra butchering.

Back
Top Bottom