North Dakota

Pics
I have to brag!!!! I got 33 eggs out of 33 hens yesterday and you know how bad the weather was. I was averaging 18-20ish a day. I was very surprised! It is the truth!

Thanks mygreenkitty, and LeviS for the comments! I think that it was a fluke, because I got 18 yesterday and 20 today. I was thinking that I missed a day, but each egg accounted for each colored layer.

I have a question for those who knows about this... I added about 8 inches of wheat hulls/screenings to my chicken greenhouse in early November. The dimensions are 8 feet wide by 32 feet long. I use cattle panels to arch over and plastic for the greenhouse. I was wanting wheat screenings but got more wheat hulls with loads of weed seeds. It provides something for them to do and helps them keep feet warmer during the winter.

The 40 chickens, Yes i have too many roosters, ate and scratched in all the screenings all the way to dirt. Since November, they ate about 2,000 pounds of screenings/corn/layer total since then. As you know what comes in comes out. This area is my garden during the spring.

Last week, I felt sorry for the poor birds walking on frozen pooped on ground, so I added 8 more inches of fresh wheat hull/screenings. This should last till May. Hopefully it will be eaten down like the last load. Today, I put my hand down on the screenings and noticed really bad hot areas in the ground in the greenhouse when I was adding another feeder. I dug down to the dirt with my hand and it was thawed out and steaming. Kind of nasty wet smelly dirt under the screenings/hulls. Not all areas were hot. Just some areas. About 5 by 15 foot was very hot.

Does anyone think there is any concern with this or should I do something? Any suggestions are helpful. I just don't want the birds to kill over due to my mistake or fire or smoke

I have no experience or knowledge about this, but you have given a very interesting saga for my hubby to ponder over. I swear, the guy has been thinking about this non-stop ever since I read this to him. He's curious about "very hot". Any idea of the temp? Will the chickens walk on it? What is your air temp in there? (Personally, I think you'll have one awesome garden this year!) :) Where did you get your screenings? We can't find any elevators around here (close to Fargo) that will sell us any. Sounds like the screenings are doing a good job of insulating, but maybe too good! Wondering what would happen if you added fewer inches. There's gotta be a happy medium.

I have no experience or knowledge about this, but you have given a very interesting saga for my hubby to ponder over. I swear, the guy has been thinking about this non-stop ever since I read this to him. He's curious about "very hot". Any idea of the temp? Will the chickens walk on it? What is your air temp in there? (Personally, I think you'll have one awesome garden this year!) :) Where did you get your screenings? We can't find any elevators around here (close to Fargo) that will sell us any. Sounds like the screenings are doing a good job of insulating, but maybe too good! Wondering what would happen if you added fewer inches. There's gotta be a happy medium.
Went out with the wife's meat thermometer and checked the soil. The inside greenhouse temps was 48 degrees at about waist high, 105 degrees Under under the screenings in the hot areas and is getting really nasty, little slimy, and a mix of stench/earthy smell. The cold areas under the screenings were 36 degrees and more dry. It does not stink in the greenhouse like it should with that many chickens. I hope the smell from that gunk does not transfer to the hens eggs
sickbyc.gif
. Nothing like having ammonia tasting eggs.

The outdoor temp was -8 degrees at 10am when I checked everything. I have to walk about 400 feet to the chicken coop and it was nice to be inside that greenhouse. I didn't realize that I spoiled the chickens that much and that is probably why they are laying very well.

The heat does not appear to hurt the chickens feet, as they were scratching and eating what I dug up to test the ground.I only put the thermometer about 4-5 inches into the ground after moving the screenings.

You are right about the garden in the spring. The veggies grow very large!

I got the screenings from Wilton farmers elevator. This year the screenings are about 90% hulls and 10% weed seeds, and may be less than 1% wheat seed. Last year there was about 20-30% wheat seeds in it. I wish I had a large truck as there is a minimum price to pay for it and I cannot even get close to 1,000 pounds in my truck. New Salem sells screenings as well but they require you to get a ton at a time. About a grain size truck load.

I am glad that you asked about the inside temps as I really didn't pay attention to it other than the 20 to 30 degree days and I would open the doors.

Shouldnt hurt as long as you keep the inside of the coops ammonia content down. Too much accumulating poo may cause problems in the run but I dont think the decay of the screenings would. I would dig it up a little and let them go at it. As a kid I would see the hens go through fresh cow poo in the feeding pens looking for those undigested grains. Mom would say thats why the yolks were so yellow
big_smile.png

Is there anyone in the entire state of North Dakota who has a welsummer rooster for sale or chicks?

Back
Top Bottom