North Dakota

Pics
We were going to drive to a breeder's place south of RapidCity to possibly pick up a nice trio, but don't know what is going on now that hubby's company has mostly pulled out of the area and he's been laid off. Hubby is saying that we may need to wait until next year, but if we cannot make the drive, we may be able to arrange a relative to pick up, if they decide to drive. The delay would mostly be due to lack of time...we have an 8x10 shed that we can use for housing, but the floor needs repair or replacing...not just flooring, but the frame for the floor, so will probably need an extra guy or two to help the tractor guy. I have no problem with hatcheries, but am hoping to have a knowledgeable breeder to pick my trio, in hopes of having a better chance to produce good 4-H (etc) show prospects. Also wanted a broody line.

With as cold and windy as this area is, I starting looking at Orloffs, too.

I will have to check that delivery out. Getting them here is part two. Have to get the coop set up...and it's going to be a group project. Getting the group in a group is number one...and hoping that there is a 'fix' possible, after tilting the shed on it's side to see what's what. I know that it's been done before, but having them camp out in the garage during quarantine(or coop is ready), really isn't what I want, as I have my spring pigeon young birds and breeders there...

Sellison, what type of catfood do you feed? I am assuming 'dry'?
Yes, dry cat food, what ever is the cheapest. About 3 cups per 20 chickens once a day. Sort of a treat. I definitely could tell the difference in fertility rates and chicks hatching. I forgot in March and had 10 eggs that were not viable the first candling (day 7) and 10 more quit by day 14 out of 82. But I remembered and fed them that for two weeks before I started collecting for April. I had a 100 percent fertility rate at day 7 out of 123 eggs and only had 8 quitters at day 14.

It sounds like you are waiting a bit but Tractor Supply in Stanley had chicks on Sunday. Sex link and a cross between a leghorn and a California grey and Red Rangers. Not really 4-H project material though.

I've been avoiding TSC, lol. Not really, I love the store, but those chicks can be so tempting, and I'm holding out for certain birds. Was in a bit back, and they had some tempting mixed banty. And 'Blue Asian'...? Don't know what that is. Managed to get in and out without buying chicks, whew. I'm trying to be patient. You never know, things could turn out that we get that little storage shed set up in no time flat, if the wind ever stops blowing, we could get some outdoor stuff done. Holy Moley. We're on a windy hill. Can hardly get the pigeon loft door open and get into the loft without getting slammed hard.

Stanley is a bit out of the way from York!

Is anyone in the central part of the state interested in splitting a load of transitional layer feed (17% no soy)? I buy it from Buckwheat Growers in Wadena, MN. Send me a message if you do :)

Stanley is a bit out of the way from York!
Yes, even I was tempted at TSC but I am trying to incubate some butcher chicks and I have some layers coming in the mail next week. So I made it out without any too.

Yes, Stanley is a little ways from York, I was visiting family in PL.

The only thing that's held me back from snatching up some TSC chicks is that I like the breeds I have in my incubator better, but boy oh boy its been tempting. Me: "don't look, don't look, don't look", while walking by the bins.

Back
Top Bottom