North Dakota

Pics
I know it's a bit far, but we love the feedmill in Barnesville. We are north of Fargo, and we get enough that we only have to drive out there 4-5 times a year. He mixes his own stuff, and will tell you exactly what's in it. For a 100 lb. bag, he charges $19 (they will bag it in 50 lbs if 100 is too big for you) and that's way cheaper than the stuff we buy at Fleet Farm.

I love the food
From the Barnesville feed mill too and so do my birds. Has helped the egg shells too and very reasonably priced. The guy is nice too. I also have ducks and Guineas and everyone eats the same thing.

One of my bantams went broody. Anybody hatch eggs this late in the year with good results, or should I break her of it?
I had chicks hatch out on the 14th of September but I am crossing my fingers. That would be the 21st of October for the hatch date give or take a couple of days. If you let her sit, please keep us updated. If I had more room on my coop,or another coop, I would hatch more chickens this time of year.

One of my bantams went broody. Anybody hatch eggs this late in the year with good results, or should I break her of it?

Do you have a heated coop? This time of year is iffy. They won't be fully feathered by the time the cold hits and won't have very much size to them. But as long as you have heat in the coop should be okay.

It won't be heated, but I do have a designated area for injured hens that I could easily (and safely) add a heat lamp to. I think I'll give it a shot. Best case scenario I'll get a few more chickens that'll start laying next spring. Worst case scenario I'll have the same number of hens that I have now. A friend of mine is mailing me some crazy mutt eggs, so it'll be really fun if any of them make it into adulthood. Black copper marans, black Croad Langshan, jubilee Orpington, and araucanas all running amok.

It won't be heated, but I do have a designated area for injured hens that I could easily (and safely) add a heat lamp to. I think I'll give it a shot. Best case scenario I'll get a few more chickens that'll start laying next spring. Worst case scenario I'll have the same number of hens that I have now. A friend of mine is mailing me some crazy mutt eggs, so it'll be really fun if any of them make it into adulthood. Black copper marans, black Croad Langshan, jubilee Orpington, and araucanas all running amok.

Sounds great. I would love some of those mutts. I think with a heat lamp you should be okay. I run two all winter.

Hello! I hope to get a couple hens next spring and am starting ro research what I need to do. Can anybody offer advice to a first timer? What do I need to know? What breeds would you recommend and where do you even buy chicks around here? We live in a town close to Fargo and are limited to two hens with neighbors' written consent. Any advice on getting the neighbors on board? Thank you in advanced! I am really looking forward to this!

Have you spoken with the neighbors at all about it? Sometimes it may not be so hard, the promise of sharing some fresh eggs with them may get them on board.

In the Fargo area I believe the only place that carries chicks is TSC over on the Moorhead side. Though maybe Menards does too, I've always heard people say they do but have never seen them myself? Other than that, maybe someone over in that area could hook you up with some. I myself go that way a couple times a year, if you aren't able to find what you're looking for. I think for ordering chicks you need a 3 minimum and the shipping is outrageous for so few.

If eggs is your goal I would go with a heavy breed for in town, like Orpingtons, Brahmas, Rocks, Wyandottes, easter eggers, marans. Both for no flying and that they are all winter hardy....with the Fargo area being borderline arctic tundra
lol.png
. For pets you could go with silkies, which will also give some small eggs eventually. Though all the other breeds I listed can get to be just as tame with lots of attention.

As far as first time chick owner, there are lots of topics on the learning center. Also take a look at the breeds section and play around with the options to see what requirements you are looking for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom