North Dakota

Pics
How are they doing with their eggs?

Abandoned. I expected it. I was waiting for some fertile eggs from a friend, but her chickens quit laying. So I moved my hens from their temporary coop to the permanent coop and she gave up on the fake eggs that she was sitting on. For the best, probably. I have a small 7-egg incubator I'm itching to try, though...

I'm thinking of setting a dozen eggs, I just have that hatching bug and don't think I can hold it in until next spring. Luckily I have a heated room in my barn so, they will get to stay in there for quite awhile.

Now I am jealous. I am also thinking about hatching out eggs but I don't have anywhere to put them for heat. I hear that the winter is going to be mild. My luck is that I hatch out 20 chicks and 90% that hatched ended up to be males like last time

Last edited:
Hatching this time of year has the advantage of the pullets will be just starting to lay when the weather breaks in the spring and then all season long. Ive thought about hatching now but the low egg count wont fill the inci, need heated area for chicks, ends up being quite costly to raise a few chicks. Still might do it!

Tell me about that high heat bill! I am thinking about not doing this again in the winter. I have 15 chicks and I have two 250 watt heat lamps on in a 4x4 brooder area in a greenhouse with a top on the 4x4 brooder. I still have to take the chicks inside at night and they are 3 weeks old. I don't really like the reality of hearing chicks chirping in the house at night but hopefully they will lay this spring and feather out more soon.

I set some buff laced brahmas, so the sooner I can get them started the better...they take forever (or so it seems) to start laying. So far there's 8 going strong out of the dozen I set.

Two large incis. one large hatcher and two sets of double 250 watt heat lamps and my electric bill was an extra 100 dollars a month, and that was from march through may. Then again. its a good way to get an early start.

Last edited:
That high electric bill is what I am afraid of but mine will be 8 weeks old on the week of Dec 24th. Of course I am sure they will need heat when it is -30 but not sure.

Goodmorning I am looking for some fertile eggs in the Fargo/Moorhead area (Minnesota State University Moorhead) area, preferably brown layers but am open to whats available. If someone has a suggestion of a place closeby that sells hatchable eggs in a farmers market type setting I would like to know as well.

Goodmorning I am looking for some fertile eggs in the Fargo/Moorhead area (Minnesota State University Moorhead) area, preferably brown layers but am open to whats available. If someone has a suggestion of a place closeby that sells hatchable eggs in a farmers market type setting I would like to know as well.

Most farmers markets are closed. Are u looking for purebreeds or can they be mixes?? I would sell you some but laying is at an all time low!!

Back
Top Bottom