North Dakota

Pics
aldk and I love layers,

i plan on being at the swap and may bring some youngbird racer pigeons. I didn't breed a lot of youngbirds this year, as we didn't lose many last year, but can make it up with later hatches. I'm hoping to generate some interest in the pigeon sport of racing, but also have 'color bird' racers that are fun for genetics projects.

Wish that i had some 'new membership' pamphlets to bring. I asked the association for some, never got them, which didn't make me happy. So i didn't renew membership this year, but i DID get a notification that i hadn't paid membership dues, lol.

I am going to try to bring a few different pigeon breeds also, don't think i'll bring any racers though. planning on a pair of ice pigeons and show homers

I am going to try to bring a few different pigeon breeds also, don't think i'll bring any racers though. planning on a pair of ice pigeons and show homers

Cool! I'm hoping to go to the swap, and buy some show quality birds for breeding and showing

I've always been kind of interested in pigeon racing too. Will have to look into it a bit closer, at least I know there's someone in the area that already does it.

Hi fellow North Dakotan's!

I just joined and am looking forwarding to meeting some folks from our fine state.  Especially in the NE corner.  I live in the Grafton area.  I didn't read this entire thread, but in the last few pages, it seems like most folks are central or west?  Regardless, I'm happy to meet you all.

I don't have chickens yet, but I am busy planning.  We just bought our farmstead in November, so we still have work to do.  I'm busy planning the coop and have a few questions.  I know there's a huge coop forum, but I am hoping to get some advice from folks who know what cold really is.  I laugh when I see someone from down south brag how their coop design protected their chickens from one night at 20 above zero.

Anyway, as some background, here's the decisions I have made so far about my future chickens and their coop:

1. I am raising Buckeyes.  I've read they are one of the most cold hardy breeds.  There are many other attributes about Buckeyes I like, but this is the #1 criteria I was looking for.
2. I am going to use the deep litter method.  Mainly for the extra "insulation" as well as the heating effect the composting litter provides.
3. I will not be heating my coop.  In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros.  Not looking to start an argument here...just sayin' :D

#3 is why I made choices #1 and #2.  And it's why I am asking for help/advice.  I want to be sure I can find the balance between "good circulation" and "not drafty".  While I am sure I will have many more questions to follow, right now this is my #1 concern; designing the coop to stay "warm" while keeping the air clean.  I'd love to hear from others who have unheated coops and know what it's like to not get above -10 for a week...or two.

Oh, and if there are any other Buckeye folks here, I'd love to get to know you and get your opinions of the best place to get chicks.  I'm leaning heavily towards Duane Urch, but I need to be sure my coop is all ready to go before I get serious about buying chicks.

Thanks,
Mike

Here's a tour of the inside of my coop. Sorry for the bad lighting and all the birds

That was my fault I forgot to post the link

Ahh. OK. Thanks for posting. I'll watch it at work tomorrow...on a data usage limit at home.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom