North Dakota

Pics
So...a little heads-up for my fellow NoDaks; I was just perusing the chicken raising books on Amazon. The kindle edition of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, 3rd Edition is available for $1.99!

Even if you have the printed book (as I do) $2 is just too cheap to not get an electronic copy to go with it!

Hello other North Dakotan's! I live North, Northeast of Minot. I'm new to BYC and am about to embark on my first chicken adventure. I want to keep some layers initially, and eventually get some butcher chickens. I purchased an insulated and wired shed to convert into a chicken coop and am soooo excited to get started. I am looking forward to meeting some of you through this thread for advice and guidance, and probably even chickens to start with! So grateful to have such a great resource handy.

Welcome Cheers2Ya! I'm a first timer with chickens, too. Well, I will be once I move past the planning stages and into the doing stages!

Good luck with your new chicken adventure! Have you started converting your shed into a coop yet?

Please help me out...
I have a question about ordinances up there. My husband is still in Bismarck and we are still actively looking for a house with property. What are the ordinances in the smaller towns like, towns like Reagan, Tuttle, Steele, etc? Are you allowed to have flocks? Does the property have to be zoned agricultural? So far the real estate agents I have spoken with say it has to be zoned ag. This is very confusing to me, in NC we have codes for the county vs city. In the county you can do what ever you want no matter the size of the lot. I have also tried to look up info through the city web pages but they do not list codes/regulations and I got no response to my emails.

Hi everyone, the swap in Stanley is still on for next Saterday April 30, so far what I have heard that is coming is frizzles, cochins, old English, Wyandotte bantams, Muscovy ducklings, dorper sheep, Shetland sheep, old spot hogs, boer goats, fancy pigeons. Starts art 10:00 AM.

Hi everyone, the swap in Stanley is still on for next Saterday April 30, so far what I have heard that is coming is frizzles, cochins, old English, Wyandotte bantams, Muscovy ducklings, dorper sheep, Shetland sheep, old spot hogs, boer goats, fancy pigeons. Starts art 10:00 AM.

Yay! Can't wait to go!!

Hi! I am from Williston ND. I was wondering if you overnight ship chicks? I am very interested in your Black Copper Marans and your Olive Eggers.

Please help me out...
I have a question about ordinances up there. My husband is still in Bismarck and we are still actively looking for a house with property. What are the ordinances in the smaller towns like, towns like Reagan, Tuttle, Steele, etc? Are you allowed to have flocks? Does the property have to be zoned agricultural? So far the real estate agents I have spoken with say it has to be zoned ag. This is very confusing to me, in NC we have codes for the county vs city. In the county you can do what ever you want no matter the size of the lot. I have also tried to look up info through the city web pages but they do not list codes/regulations and I got no response to my emails.

The answer you're getting from realtors sounds like they really don't know and don't feel like looking into it for you.

Are you talking about buying within the city limits of the towns you mentioned? You said "house with property" so I'm unsure if you are looking in or out of town. If out in the country, don't worry about it. If you wanted to be sure, get a hold of the county you are looking in. But ND is obviously a very rural state. Chances you'd have a neighbor or two with chickens already if you moved to the country.

If you mean in town...then it's hard to say. I believe, that "no chickens" is the standard law on the books in most cities and towns. But that is being changed more and more. Towns of all sizes are changing their laws to accommodate in-town chicken owners. As frustrating as it may be, I think you may need to keep trying to get a hold of city officials in the town you are looking to move to. It's probably going to take some phone calls.

I know that probably wasn't a ton of help. If I lived closer to the area you are looking at, maybe I could be more help. I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. I just had a thought; you could get a hold of the County Extension Agent in the county you are looking in, and maybe he or she would know which towns are chicken-friendly. It's worth a shot. Here's the list of offices: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension/county-extension-offices

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom