North Dakota

Pics
The answer you're getting from realtors sounds like they really don't know and don't feel like looking into it for you.

Are you talking about buying within the city limits of the towns you mentioned? You said "house with property" so I'm unsure if you are looking in or out of town. If out in the country, don't worry about it. If you wanted to be sure, get a hold of the county you are looking in. But ND is obviously a very rural state. Chances you'd have a neighbor or two with chickens already if you moved to the country.

If you mean in town...then it's hard to say. I believe, that "no chickens" is the standard law on the books in most cities and towns. But that is being changed more and more. Towns of all sizes are changing their laws to accommodate in-town chicken owners. As frustrating as it may be, I think you may need to keep trying to get a hold of city officials in the town you are looking to move to. It's probably going to take some phone calls.

I know that probably wasn't a ton of help. If I lived closer to the area you are looking at, maybe I could be more help. I wish you the best of luck!
That was very helpful! Thank you!
We are looking for the country primarily but have only found houses in the cities.. Most of them are in small towns like the ones I mentioned and are not surrounded by houses. By property I mean that we would love to have more than an acre but are not looking for 40+. We would settle for a half or more in reality. We had also considered that if we are the only house in the area that there is nobody to raise a fuss about the flock. Or even if it is technically in a town as long as there is enough land between us and the nearest neighbor they shouldn't be offended by the birds.

We are looking for the country primarily but have only found houses in the cities.. Most of them are in small towns like the ones I mentioned and are not surrounded by houses. By property I mean that we would love to have more than an acre but are not looking for 40+. We would settle for a half or more in reality. We had also considered that if we are the only house in the area that there is nobody to raise a fuss about the flock. Or even if it is technically in a town as long as there is enough land between us and the nearest neighbor they shouldn't be offended by the birds.
I noticed that I was editing my post as you were posting your reply. I just want to re-post my P.S., just in case you missed it. It may prove helpful...I hope!

P.S. I just had a thought; you could get a hold of the County Extension Agent in the county you are looking in, and maybe he or she would know which towns are chicken-friendly. It's worth a shot. Here's the list of offices: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension/county-extension-offices

I noticed that I was editing my post as you were posting your reply. I just want to re-post my P.S., just in case you missed it. It may prove helpful...I hope!

P.S. I just had a thought; you could get a hold of the County Extension Agent in the county you are looking in, and maybe he or she would know which towns are chicken-friendly. It's worth a shot. Here's the list of offices: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension/county-extension-offices
lol, I went back and did see the addition. I have bookmarked the offices so I can call them tomorrow. We are looking to be within a max of one hours distance to Bismarck since my hubby already works there and it will most likely be the location of my job as well.

lol, I went back and did see the addition. I have bookmarked the offices so I can call them tomorrow. We are looking to be within a max of one hours distance to Bismarck since my hubby already works there and it will most likely be the location of my job as well.
Good luck in your house hunt! One hour drive from Bismarck gives you a nice sized search area. I bet you'll find a nice farmstead with multiple acres and not have to worry about any stupid city ordinances!
wink.png

I can already tell you if you are looking in the city limits of steel the houses are really close together. I bet a person can hear their neighbor flush their toilet. Well maybe not that close but close. I am sure if you are looking out of the city limits then it is a farming community. Good luck on your search.

My relatives live in the suburbs of Bismarck, and they have about 15 chickens and 10 ducks. At one point they had about 5 roosters. There nearest neighbors are about 500 feet away, they just made sure there neighbors would be fine with the birds

Good luck in your house hunt! One hour drive from Bismarck gives you a nice sized search area. I bet you'll find a nice farmstead with multiple acres and not have to worry about any stupid city ordinances!
wink.png
Thank you very much

I can already tell you if you are looking in the city limits of steel the houses are really close together. I bet a person can hear their neighbor flush their toilet. Well maybe not that close but close. I am sure if you are looking out of the city limits then it is a farming community. Good luck on your search.
I noticed that too, always found it odd that houses are built so close together. It is happening more and more here too. Developers will tear down one house and put 2 or 3 on the same property. I had found a few in the outskirts of that area a while back. Thank you!

My relatives live in the suburbs of Bismarck, and they have about 15 chickens and 10 ducks. At one point they had about 5 roosters. There nearest neighbors are about 500 feet away, they just made sure there neighbors would be fine with the birds
Good to know! Thank you very much

Brad and i had a good time at the Stanley swap. Nice to see old friends and meet new folks.

I will be more prepared next year! (sorry that i only brought one racer, i was real tired from helping wrestle fencing for the chicken run in the wind, took a benedryl the night before and overslept an hour. Two of my carriers had 'frozen' doors, couldn't get them open, said to heck with it)

If anyone is interested in a kit of racers from my birds, best to let me know a few months in advance, as i really don't raise them for sale, usually just to replace the ones lost(mostly hawks). But i will try to have a couple of kits ready, next year. Also, will be offering "captive' breeding pairs that are being replaced by younger birds that were hatched here. 3 'black diamond' pairs available, now, or as soon as they are off eggs/young.

Also, 'colorbirds' that are several generations down from flyers. One of my colorbirds that is available is a double banded foundation hen, she is recessive red, indigo, spread, dominant opal, great mother. Her recessive red mate can be available, soon, also.

One thing that i forgot to ask, do pigeons need to be tested before they can be shown?

Back
Top Bottom