North Dakota

Pics
I just escaped from MN and now I need to go "back" haha
tongue.png
??? I'll head over and check it out - thanks

Last edited:
Hello! Quick question - I do not currently have the time to browse/search thru all of the BYC forums etc ---- looking for some info on mites? I had the unfortunate passing of one of my chickens today and I noticed he had some little buddies crawling on him. I'm assuming it's an "if one has they all have" situation...? Dust the coop? Im thinking spray would be detrimental to the birds beings its so freakin cold. Any recommendations appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!!

I haven't actual had mites on my chickens that I know of. But I do make sure they have somewhere to dust bath in the coop. I have a wood stove so I use really old ashes. Ones that for sure are not still warm and could burn the coop down. But I think plain dirt would work to. Just need something to dust bath in.

Hello! Quick question - I do not currently have the time to browse/search thru all of the BYC forums etc ---- looking for some info on mites? I had the unfortunate passing of one of my chickens today and I noticed he had some little buddies crawling on him. I'm assuming it's an "if one has they all have" situation...? Dust the coop? Im thinking spray would be detrimental to the birds beings its so freakin cold. Any recommendations appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!!
My flock had a bad case of lice or mites two years ago. I mean they were caked up to the max on the feathers to where their buts were hanging out.. I decided to treat them in the winter. What works is Python Y-TEX Livestock shaker can in the 2 pound can. That can will treat about 40 birds. I used a scoop or a tablespoon on each bird as I cannot remember. I used gloves and a face mask and did it outside. I covered the bird belly and the vent area. One treatment did the trick but I treated again in about 2 weeks. Talk about easy and I got the stuff at TSC. Their website has it so you know what to look for... I have a can encase I got it back and so far so good. I tried , DE, and all sorts of stuff without any luck.

Good luck.

My flock had a bad case of lice or mites two years ago. I mean they were caked up to the max on the feathers to where their buts were hanging out.. I decided to treat them in the winter. What works is Python Y-TEX Livestock shaker can in the 2 pound can. That can will treat about 40 birds. I used a scoop or a tablespoon on each bird as I cannot remember. I used gloves and a face mask and did it outside. I covered the bird belly and the vent area. One treatment did the trick but I treated again in about 2 weeks. Talk about easy and I got the stuff at TSC. Their website has it so you know what to look for... I have a can encase I got it back and so far so good. I tried , DE, and all sorts of stuff without any luck.

Good luck.

THANK YOU! Yeah - they were just little semi-transparent crawlers. With a little brown spot on the middle of their body. So lice/mites/whatever... not supposed to be there. I haven't had any problems in the past - The birds are free-rangers but since we have taken a plunge in temps and covered in snow they are boycotting the outside hah. Thanks again!

I know it's a bad time of year for this but does anyone need a rooster? As you all may know I am a rooster hoarder and I need to get rid of three I hatched this year. There is 1 Black one, 1 black and red one and a Barred one... they are all so pretty I wish I could keep them but I can't.

#1 is out of a Standard Cochin roo(possibly a Black Australorp cross rooster) and a Bantam Cochin hen. He is the cutest little thing! He is really starting to become more of a pet than anything else!

#2 is out of a Cochin hen and a Black Australop/Welsummer cross rooster. This little guy is STUNNING!! He is going to be quite the looker!

And finally rooster #3. This guy has got some good size to him! He is also really pretty! He is out of a Barred rock hen and Black australorp/Welsummer cross rooster.

Back
Top Bottom